Pondering a 40, need advice

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by oldbrass, Feb 11, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

As the title sais I`m pondering a 40 s&w. I must admit I have little experience with automatics besides my 1911 and beretta 9mm I used in the army, only have the 1911 and I`m getting the bug for a new toy with a higher mag capacity..I`m leaning toward a springfield XDM40 4.5
    I`m a lefty and desire an ambidextrous mag release, I`m not in a rush and would really appreciate some opinions from you 40 cal gurus..

Thanx, Ken
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

One of the things I took into consideration when buying my 40 is how it handled the 40. Some Models seemed to have more muzzle flip than others when it came to firing them. Sig 226's and the beretta 96 seemed to be the worst offendors but then it probably what how they fit me. I have 2 beretta 92's in 9 and love them and had a 229 in 9 and it was a smooth shooter. If muzzle flip does not bother you then none of the will mean anything but what I've found in the 12 or so 40's ive shot the 3 with the least flip were the S&W M&P 40, CZ P07 Duty, and the FN FNX40. All are close in price range with the CZ being slightly cheaper than the rest and Its the one I own. Hell I own 3 other CZ's whats one more;) The FNX 40 felt more like a 9mm when fired while the CZ and M&P were slightly more flippy but also slightly smaller. I love my CZ but can't say anything bad at all about the other 2. Very good guns to consider. The XD is a great gun but the way its designed and balanced (top heavy with the majority of the slide weight in front of your hand) it didn't handle as well imo. Reacquisition of the target was slower than with the other 3.
  3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Some of the polymer framed guns now do not have double strike ability, (pull the trigger again in the event of a mis-fire). If you plan on using the gun for defensive purposes this might be something to consider. If you don't want to go the polymer frame way, Para has a 16 shot .40 cal. on a wide body 1911 frame, Browning has a .40 cal. High Power, and Taurus also has a .40 cal. that is similar to the Beretta that you used in the Army, plus I think CZ also a metal framed gun in .40 cal. as well, these are a few other options you might consider also

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  4. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

If going the Taurus option would recommend the 24/7. I love mine and at this point have put at least 1200 rounds down range without a jamb or misfire. I have the Pro C compact model. The 24/7 was built with the everyday use that a police officer requires in mind. Very reliable in my opinion and priced for "the masses". Come in other calibers but I have the .40 S&W. Mine came with the 10 round and a 15 round extended capacity magazines.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

If you liked the Beretta M9 in the military try the 96. It is on the same frame, has an ambi release and shoots .40 S&W. I think you will like it a lot!

I liked it so much I bought an other...:)

[​IMG]
  7. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

Thanx Grapevine, I didn`t know beretta made a 40.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If I were going to buy another .40 S&W, it would be the Beretta model 96, without a doubt. I have a Glock .40 and a Sig .40 and used to have the Beretta. That is one of the guns that I ask myself why I got rid of it.
  9. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

No problem, just make sure you let us know which way you go. And remember we love pictures!
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

The XDM is an excellent choice in a poly gun. Probably my top choice if I were looking to buy.
  11. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

What DoubleD says. +1:D

UF
  12. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

re: pondering 40

I handled an fnp40 yesterday. that was a sweet gun, being a lefty I really liked the amdidextrous controls and it fit my small hands well.
    anybody own one ??
  13. hansom

hansom Former Guest

THe Beretta is a good .40, but try the Taurus 100 also , it has the safety on the frame like the 1911 you are accustomed to.

Attached Files:

14. Archie

Archie Member

As an alternative, I really like the Heckler & Koch USP40c. The regular, full-sized USP40 has a wider grip than is comfortable for my hand; the compact version is a good size for me. Another big seller for me is the control system. The 'variant 1' is a double-action/single-action trigger with a cocked and locked over ride safety. That same (thumb actuated) safety doubles as a hammer drop if desired. So the manual of arms is similar to both the M1911A1 and the M9 - as you please. I don't find the recoil objectionable - some do - and it has good sights and so forth. Trigger in both single and double action is adequate.

If you want more details, see my blog listed below. I have a full report there.

It is probably more expensive than many others. Life is like that.
  15. Quisp

Quisp New Member

IMO Nothing beats the H & K. The P30S V3 has ambidextrous safety and mag release. Comes in different sizes. The recoil control system was designed for the .40.
    You get what you pay for when it comes to weapons. You want to pay 500 bucks you will get a 500 dollar piece. The H&K is worth the 950 bucks. Baby Eagle is a good cheaper piece if you don;t to drop the cash. Not a fan of the Taurus or Glocks, they are not as accurate at distance. If short range protection is all you are after then i would roll with a compact 45. Anywho, everyone will have their own opinions and experiences. If my ass is on the line I just wouldnt ant to have to rely on a Taurus.