Pop-Up ads in threads

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by gdmoody, Feb 8, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

What's with the little pop up ads.

I don't know if it is just me or if everyone else is seeing the same thing. In just about every thread there are certain words that are underlined and in red. When my cursor runs over those words a small pop up ad appears. I thought it might only be on my desk computer, but I am on my laptop right now and it is still doing it. It gets right annoying!!

It just started a few days ago. Even if the same word is used in different posts, they only appear as links in only one post. For example, in the thread Got your taxes done yet?, Mogunner mentioned he uses Turbo Tax, on my computer the words Turbo Tax show up as a link. In the post by Zhurh, the word taxes in the title shows up as a link, but the words turbo tax in the body does not! What's going on?
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing anything like that here, George. Do you have one of those "helpful" toolbars installed on your browser?

It sounds to me like you have some spamming software on your computers.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I reread all the posts in that thread, and I got no links, or popups! I think it's time to check your puters for threats!
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

All clear here, brother - that's definitely a new one.
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I checked also - NO links like that on my computer
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

None here either.....
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've seen that a lot, on "news" stories on Yahoo. It would not only link to Turbo Tax, but sometimes it defines words. But only when I'm running IE. Another of the many reasons I don't use IE, if I can help it.
  8. H-D

H-D Active Member

I don't see it but I'm on FireFox on my pc and safari on my phone
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am using Google chrome. I like it better and it is faster than IE or Firefox but it still has its little glitches. The little links only showed up in chrome!!

I ran my virus killer and my registry cleaner on both my desk top and lap top and whatever it was is now gone. My virus protection is run automatically once a week and I manually run the registry cleaner every once in a while. I guess I will have to up the every once in a while to like once a week!!
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Glad you got it solved!