1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Pop's those are some right fancy horns you are making. I have a question for ya though,are they threaded so a fella can put a measuring tube on the end? And what about the big end how do you hold the plug in ?
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The spout is threaded into a bushing epoxied into the small end of the horn. You can get valve spouts for them and I can furnish one for the next larger charge than you want, so you can cut and file to get a proper load.

The base plug is hardwood, hand cut to the natural contour of the horn, not lathed round and then the horn steamed to fit it. I epoxy the base plug in place and then pin it with brass pins. The base carries a filler plug threaded bushing, which is epoxied into the proper place in the base plug and the filler plug threads into that. There are two sizes of filler plugs and I use the one that fits the esthetics of that particular horn, in my eye.

I buy raw horns and sand and polish them. That takes about 10 hours per horn. I then "dip" them to see where the interior cavity goes and cut them. I let them sit for awhile until the contents of my "pretties box" starts to talk to me. Each horn will take a particular set of pretties to set off its own figure and coloring. I scour estate sales, flea markets and second-hand stores for old jewelry, broaches, pins, etc to put on horns. I keep a look-out for hardwood scraps that would look good on horns as base plugs. (I have 3 pieces of Manzanita left, waiting for horns to "call" to them. I have one piece of birds-eye maple left.) It generally takes me 20 to 30 hours to make a horn. I try to sell them at gun shows and shoots, but my personal collection grows steadily. :D I'll hit a show with 6 horns, marked $165 each and sell them over a couple of days, the most-dickered one going for not less than $100. Lessee, at 30 hours and about $30 for material, that means I make, what $2.33 per hour? :D

I guarantee them for 100 years. The warranty reads, "Bring this horn back in 100 years and I will rebuild it."

I'm sure that is more information than you expected, but you should see my response when you ask about my .45 Calibre Flashlights. :D:D:D

Pops
  3. Old Scout

Old Scout New Member

armedandsafe, your warranty is much more liberal than mine, I require that they be accompanied by a natural parent.
  4. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Pops, that was the exact amount of info I wanted however I could have read even more. That stuff intrigues me to no end.
    I pesronally do not have the "touch" to make something like that but do enjoy the detail that goes into them.
    Thanks
  5. Old Scout

Old Scout New Member

I also enjoy doing horn work in my spare time. I find it to be a very relaxing diversion. A few years ago, I purchased a video of The American Pioneer Craft Series entitled "Making Powder Horns" featuring Ron Ehlert. I don't know if this video is still available, but, I'm sure there are others. Horn work, like any other mechanical skill is a learned process, in other words, practice, practice,practice. To date, I have made a few dozen horns, and every one is a little better than the one before. I have pretty well mastered the mechanics of constructing the horn itself, and am now concentrating on the scrimshaw. Primarily, I am focusing on French and Indian War period horns (map horns, personna, theme, etc.). Has anyone done any experimenting on dying or creating a "patina" on their horns? I have tried all manner of vegetable dyes, including RIT dyes and leather dyes, but have not yet really found a satisfactory media, I have had success with some chemical processes such as silver nitrate, but, by and large, I have been unable to duplicate most of the original hues. The problem I am having is not so much with color, but, with durability. Most of the processes I have tried look good initially, but are "skin deep" and are subject to abrasion or scratching.