Popular bolt action?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by airsickness, Feb 20, 2008.

1. airsickness

airsickness New Member

It seems that the Ruger 10/22 is the consensus auto loader. Is there a bolt action equivalent that has a huge following and has many after market parts for it?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Ruger 77/22 is a good shooting bolt gun with some available aftermarket parts.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I recently picked up a Savage Markxx which I'm pretty impressed with.

Pops
  4. whip

whip New Member

I bought a CZ 452 training rifle that is an awfully good shooting and handling .22 rifle.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

The model 52 Winchesters seem to have a loyal following, as do the 40-X Remingtons; my 44 1/2 Stevens, seems to be nearly unknown, yet any of these are able to put a box of ammo, into a single ragged hole.
    Anschutz, with bith M-54, and M-64 Actions, in several levels of trim, Walther, with the KKJ, and similar, the venerable old Remington M-37, and 513-T's all show up at my shooting club, with boring accuracy results, nothing but 'centers'.
    Should you stumble over a Suhl built, 'Standahrt 150', a 'knock off' of the Anschutz M-54, and the price is reasonable, I would say to 'jump all over it', as both of mine, bought back when no one had a clue as to their worth, are excellent to outstanding, from an accuracy standpoint, and at the price I then paid, more 'bang for the buck', than I could find anywhere else!
    Brno trainers are not to be forgotten, nor the MAS-45, as potential match winners, against rifles of twice or more, their price.
    Hope this clears, rather than clouds, the waters!
  6. airsickness

airsickness New Member

I'm just getting started in the shooting game. Ive owned handguns and some hi-power airguns. So I guess i will be peppering the boards with alot of questions. I thank you for your responses.
    Kenny

P.S. Just based on looks this one sure is purdy. :)
    http://www.savagearms.com/93btvs.htm
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Budget and availablity are usually deciding factors in buying firearms in general, the thing about the used rimfire rifle market is, if it's a good accurate shooter, most folks hold onto them with a tight grip, if there's a lot of a particular brand or model out in the used market it's probably because there are less than stellar shooting rifles.
    Where you live has a lot to do with availability as well, Stash listed a bunch of fine "old" model rifles, none of which I have ever seen on the used rack at any of the gun shops here in south Jersey, and if one of those rifles do come into a shop as a trade-in, it ain't there long.....:rolleyes:
    If you live in a gun friendly state that allows gun shows, then you very well may find one of those fine old rifles for sale there, but I'd have to travel out of state just to attend a gun show, so it's pretty much "new" for me....

I'm looking to add a rimfire bolt action to my small (but growing) collection of semi-auto sporters, and right now I'm torn between the Browning T-bolt, and the Ruger 77/22, however that Savage is a nice choice, and comes with a good reputation.....
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Tony, if you are able to find a T-bolt, particulally the deluxe 'T-2' model, at a price anything close to reality, jump all over it, and you will never be sorry!
    They are close to as quick, with a bit of wear in, and practice, as a semi, and will 'WOW' most of your fellow shooters, I suspect, because there are not a bunch of them around.
    Unfortunately, some of the best 'target grade' bolt guns are, and have been, out of print, as catalog items, for many years; my understanding is that Remington is still building rimfire 40-XB's, but only as a custom shop item, and, last I checked, a barreled action was at about $1100 US.
    Terrible subject, for an election year, when, if the wrong turd floats, we may be offered $50 for a classic rifle, and be prosecuted, if we do not take the offer, and surrender it.
    Some others I failed to mention, earlier, but not necessarily 'bolt guns', are the Ballard, (and, if you ever see one and don't want it, call me collect, and I will be on the first thing smoking!) the Bay State Arms, single shot rifle, forerunner to the Hopkins and Allen, done a forged receiver and breechblock, not cast, as H&A; nothing wrong with the 1885 Winchester Single Shot, or the Martini Cadet; I have a couple of both. Maybe, more than a couple!
    The really late Martini's, Mk II, III, IV, and Mk V, are awesome rifles, but before you buy, ask about chamber, headspace, and sights; any of these can be a deal killer, if they are not 'right'.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

THE bolt 22LR gun to have that is a parallel to a Ruger 10/22 has to be the CZ 452/3 bolt guns. With them you get the most bolt 22LR gun for the least money. They don't need a lot of work to make them tack drivers. A few simple things and they shoot like a house afire.

You have to return the barrel to free floating as most start out that way but the wood warps in transit to the dealer and the barrel touches somewhere along the barrel. Sanding solves that. Some need bedding, some only pilars, some nothing. Some need to have the creep removed and that can be as simple as an inexpensive kit of shims and springs or an adjustable sear and the springs from the kit. The 453 has a set trigger which probably needs nothing. The trigger is made like a centerfire gun, not out of cheap stamped sheet metal like so many other 22LR bolt guns or so designed that no adjustment can be made (a person may find that the range of adjustment that the gun has for trigger pull level is adequate and the springs may not not necessary).

For more insight go to:

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

LDBennett
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

LD, I'm gonna make you cry, with this one.
    Back in the mid '80's, Navy Arms offered some "MAS 45 type Training Rifles", in a Shotgun News ad, for $69.95; we ordered three, for the shop, and they arrived less than a week later.
    I was there when the UPS truck delivered them, so, opened the carton, and picked up the phone, about 90 seconds later, to call Navy Arms; the guy who owned the shop was out, so I took the initiative, asked the guy at Navy arms how may of the rifle they had left, and bought them all (37 of them!), and promised the check, overnight.
    They were ALL BRNO Model 2's, claiming to be 'Built in the UAR', but wearing proper 'Rampant Lion' Czech proofs, on both action and barrel, and an inscription of 'mansour', and a bunch of arabic, below, on the barrel.
    These, of course, are the grandfather of the 452/3, with nicer, albiet somewhat 'handling damaged' wood, but in 39 out of 40 rifles, shot after cleaning, well under moa, with good (Eley) ammo.
    I know, because my 'punishment' for buying them all was that I had to clean and test fire them; they were gone in less than two weeks after they hit the racks!
    This is a 'local clientele' gunshop, and we heard requests from purchasers, for several years after, and folks that had seen/ shot these rifles, for more.
    Interestingly, most of these rifles had what SAAMI would term excessive headspace, and still, shot well!
    Of course, as a consequence of my 'punishment' I got and still possess the 'pick of the litter' , a 'sporter' class rifle that looks like hell, but shoots like Heaven, hanging under a scope that cost more than twice, the rifle!
    Headspace is .047"; this rifle should not 'shoot', yet it lays them in under a nickel, at a hundred, scoped, and Eley Tenex. Go Figger.
    One day soon, it will go to a grandson, all five of whom are 'at the age', or close, and I have way too many guns (?).
    Sure wish I had kept them all!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  11. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

airsickness, to answer your question, there is no bolt action 22 cal that has the following or the aftermarket parts and accessories as is enjoyed by the 10/22.
  12. airsickness

airsickness New Member

Thanks Contenderizer!
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Just rescoped my CZ 452/3 "Scout" rifle. Originally, when I bought it, they put a 3-9X40 Bushnell on it. I always felt that was too much scope for a small .22 rifle. So when I bought the T/C Encore in .243 and wanted some glass on it, I transferred the scope. Today, I bought a Tasco 4X32 from the LGS for $30 and mounted it. This weekend, I'll be taking it down to deer camp and will sight in the scope and maybe pop a tree-rat or three with it.
  14. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

I would think that a boltie that dudes rework stocks for would be two or three, the savage cub / cadet single shot, the marlin15/25's, and the marlin 80 or 81, latter models made after 1970's or so. Not that any of these have after market parts, but a lot of dudes will find wood stocks for the marlins, or take the shorty savage and marlin 15/25's and just make custom stocks for them, all three are excellent shooters, with the first two being single shots. allthought the straight 25's can be had mag fed.
  15. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

Another "goldie" that hasn't been mentioned yet is the 580 series Remington 22 rifles. I've been chasing around to get one for about 4 years and finally got my hands on one about 4 months ago. Mine is a 582, bolt action, tubular feed. Wood is not much to look at...YET! And there is a small area of bluing that has worn off the barrel, but the thing shoots like a dream, extremely accurate with everything I've fed it...Remington Golden Bullets, Eley, Federal, and S&B's. What really makes this little 22 unique is the full size stock with a monte carlo style comb on the butt. Trigger is extremely clean and crisp and lets go at just under 3 lbs. It also handles shorts, longs, and long rifles.

The new 'baby' is getting a full stock do over...sanding, staining, sealing, and finish. The metal is going to be rust blued. Only non issue thing I'm going to do is add some sling studs.

IF you find one of these for less than $225 in decent shape, jump on it.
  16. stash247

stash247 New Member

Nolacajun, you speak the truth; the 580 series is the same rifle as the 541, but done 'on the cheap', by Remington.
    A 'rimfire 788', so to speak.
    Sound action, and barrel, but the plastic sights, etc, could have been better thought out.
    I have two, both cut down to 11" length of pull, and both single shots, somewhere, cut down for kids, now, for grandkids, many years ago.they are shooters, right out of the box, but both of mine wear 541 adjustable triggers, stolen, somewhere, years ago.
    Not exactly sure where they are at, at this moment, likely a few calls would find them, but it is not an issue, really; one of the kids is using them, to teach marksmanship, and firearms safety, to grandkids, with a rifle that not only fits them, but shoots with accuracy.