The Firearms Forum banner

Favorite Antique Manufacturer

Popular + Prestigious Antique Firearm Reproduction Manufaturers

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Alpo 
#1 · (Edited)
I wrote up an article on what I've learned searching for the most popular and well respectedAntique Firearm Reproduction Companies.

I've been looking to buy a Colt Dragoon and decided to share what I found. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions or even companies I missed ? You can add comments on the article itself or on this post.

Thanks a bunch !

#2 ·
You stated the large powder charges in the Walker caused them to sometimes explode. Maybe but the Walker was issued with bullets called "Picketts". These 220 Gr. pointed bullets were often loaded pointed end first. The reversed bullet with a heavy charge may have caused these failures. The Walker loaded with a .454 bullet is a very efffective matching carbine loads of the day. The Texas Navy turned their Walkers over to the Texas Rangers. The Rangers used the Walker and NDN horse warfare to control the early South West.:)Good Luck

RC

#3 ·
>They also have the LeMat revolver and many lesser known weapons as well like the Paterson, the first revolver ever made, and the spiller.<

Spiller and Burr, not spiller. http://www.csarmory.org/spiller/spiller.html

The Paterson was the first revolver Colt made, but nowhere near the first revolver ever made. For example, this Collier is much older than Colt's guns.

You don't like Pedersoli? http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/

#4 ·
Thanks alot. I believe I got mixed up with wikipeidia's statement on the patterson - ''It was the first commercial repeating firearm employing a revolving cylinder with multiple chambers aligned with a single, stationary barrel.''

I'll be changing that soon.

Perdersoli, I had never heard of them... What's with Italians and antiqe firearms ???

#5 ·
Perdersoli, I had never heard of them... What's with Italians and antiqe firearms ???
You're kidding, right? The Italians have been making firearms for longer than the US has been a country! They have a long and rich history of making great firearms and have been making period pieces for the US market for at least 50 years. Check out Pedersoli; I have one of their Sharps and it's a lovely piece.

#6 ·
Interesting. I hadn't noticed this before. Before I voted, if I clicked on "see results" it not only told me how many voted for each gun, but WHO did. It listed the four that voted Uberti and the one that voted Pietta. Once I voted, that went away. It just tells me that there are 4, 1 and 1 votes, and that I have already voted.

#11 ·
It just seems that every antique american firearm manufacturer is Italian. But they made great guns, I love benellis and baretta's myself.
What fits your definition of "antique"?

Rossi, in Brazil, makes 1892 Winchester copies. Taurus, also in Brazil, makes 1873 Colt pistol and 1882 Colt rifle copies. Miroku, in Japan, makes 1886, 1892 and 1895 Winchester copies. There are numerous "antique" shotguns coming out of China - both Winchester 1887 levers and 1897 pump copies. Also generic double barrel hammer guns.

None of these are "pre-cartridge", but they are all "pre-1900", so they are "antique".

#12 ·
I just went and looked at your article. Better. :)

Anybody know if Armi San Marco is still around? They used to be Uberti's main competition. Then they went belly-up. Uberti was better. Then they came back, making the guns for American Western Arms, down in south Florida. ASM made guns strictly for AWA. Then AWA went out of business. A few of the AWA employees started it up again. But I don't know if they still use ASM, or if ASM is still around, or, for that matter, is AWA Part Deux is still around.

There is also a company called Armi Sport. Taylor's is, I believe, the big importer of them. They make 1874 Sharps and Winchester 1892 rifle copies. So, again, I don't know if that fits your "antique" definition.

#13 ·
When I type Armi Sport on google, I'm directed to Chiappa Firearms, who make alot of muzzleloading pistols, breechloading and muzzleloading rifles. Interesting.

They seem pretty well established. I will do some research to see if I add them either as one of the big guys or as an ''honorable mention''.

Antique is indeed a vague term, but a term that many people search for when they're new to firearms andor antiques, as did I. It's relative, but for me, anything before the 1900's pretty much cuts it.

#16 ·
Interesting. I hadn't noticed this before. Before I voted, if I clicked on "see results" it not only told me how many voted for each gun, but WHO did. It listed the four that voted Uberti and the one that voted Pietta. Once I voted, that went away. It just tells me that there are 4, 1 and 1 votes, and that I have already voted.
Now that you've voted, the number results on each line should be a hyperlink. Following that will show you who voted for that result. It's an option when the poll is first created.

Wish I'd spotted this 6 weeks ago and answered it then. :)

#17 ·
Well, you explained it,and that's what counts. Better late than never. Thankee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.