Porcelain media beads, Good Value?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbltap, Dec 25, 2009.

1. dbltap

dbltap New Member

Are porcelain media beads a good value for polishing brass? Very pricey compared to crushed walnut shells and corn cobs.

Thanks
  2. army mp

army mp Member

I have used walnut shells for years with no complaints. They can be reactivated. And the dust cleaned up with a Dryer sheet. If you want shiny case. Add a little new- finish car wax. Sure there are things that may work better. But if what you are using works. Why change.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I don't know about "porcelain media" but walnut shell media gets the brass the cleanest and corn cob media gets the brass the shiniest. The walnut shell media is most likely to remove most of the powder stains whereas the corn cob media will just put a shine over the stains. I prefer the walnut shell media and only renew it after several years of usage. I use no additives. Walnut shell media cleans faster too but with a utilitarian almost "brushed" look rather than a shine.

LDBennett
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I believe the porcelain media is to be used with liquid in rotary tumblers and should not be used dry in Vibrator type tumblers.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

No, they are compete waste of $$ when it comes to brass. Walnut media with some Rooster or other non-ammonia brass polish and that is all you'll need. Throw in a fab softner sheet as stated prev and your media will stay cleaner.
  6. dbltap

dbltap New Member

Thanks for the info gents.:)