Pork or Beef?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by mrkirker, Jul 31, 2008.

?

Which meat do you prefer for BBQ

1. Pork is the best BBQ

46 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Beef is the best BBQ

23 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I would really like to see the results of a poll amoung us regarding the choice of
    "Pork, or Beef, for BBQ"! Would one of you 'wizards' be so kind . . . .
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

OK, I'll bite. :D

I prefer Pork smoked over Hickory wood with a secret rub and my favorite sauce. Maybe add some Baked Beans and Potato Salad then wash it all down with a cold pitcher of Iced Tea. It's just a Southern Thing and you wouldn't understand. ;):D
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Indubitably Beef steak, preferably British. (Or Brasilian, yes dear). Served with a pint of flat, warm Beer. Heaven.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I don't know who set up the poll, but "Thanks, to you!"
    I'd have to vote for 'Pork', although I've had some mighty fine 'Beef'. It might be a 'sauce thing'?

Hey Tranter, if you get on this side of the pond, we outta get a group of us Forum Folks together and 'do' a BBQ. Heck, we'd even open a beer (or two) a few days in advance, so that it could "flatten and warm" for you! :D:D:D
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Sounds good to me. Get rid of those annoying bubbles! :)
  6. We could even provide some of that Guinness stuff for you, Tranter. Let us know in advance so we can get some from one of the oil fields in Texas though. :D;)
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

"We could even provide some of that Guinness stuff for you, Tranter. Let us know in advance so we can get some from one of the oil fields in Texas though."
    Shhhhhh! Don't disturb the legend that that concoction is actually brewed! ;)
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The management actually likes the stuff. She got used to it 20 odd years ago on our honeymoon in Ireland.

Well, what with me being there she had to drink something!

I am now going to admit something to other members who know me, or perhaps thought they did. Are you ready because this has reduced many a hard man to tears, of laughter,

My drink of choice is... Coca Cola, (the leaded kind, not diet). Dont get me wrong, I will enjoy a beer and even a tipple now and again, but when I need one, only the red can will do. (I hope this doesn't count as product placement).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  9. What? No Tango, no Tizer, no Dandelion & Burdock? How very "colonial" of you Tranter! :D;):p
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Beef...

I guess it's a regional thing. Being born & raised in New Mexico it was nearly always beef.

Did some Javelinas in the pit when I lived in southern AZ but that was a lot of work.
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Berto, You have been deprived of some of the best BBQ you would ever eat.;) And yes, it is a regional thing. Hard to get BBQ Pork in Texas too.
  12. I have to go neutral on this one. I like both! If it's purely BBQ though, as in with BBQ sauce etc., I would lean toward the pork (especially ribs) pretty strongly. We sometimes do a beefsteak with a marinade though, and I rather like that. I'm kinda fond of teriyaki on a BBQ steak, especially if the meat is not of the best cut.
  13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree, Pistol. If it is BBQ, I like the pork. At the Pig Out Inn here, I love the shaved pork on a platter..... :)

That said, though, my favorite is a thick, very rare rib eye steak. If I were to use a marinade, it is soy based or teriyaki.

My basic tastes lean heavily to just PURE MEAT, not touched up much, if any at all.
  14. For a truly good beefsteak, like a rib eye or T-bone, all you really need is a little salt and pepper. The marinades come in only when the cut is less than optimal IMHO.
  15. Marlin

I use the marinades if I have a piece of sirloin or top round that looks as though it might need it, as I do on venison if it was a dog-run deer.

Generally, though, I go along with my kids grandfather who used to have a favorite phrase, "Give me meat or I'll eat the baby !!!!!!"
  16. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Sorry I cant vote...My opinion is that, of the choices posted, pork is the best smoked meat and beef is best on the grill.

Gimme meat! I'll make it taste good. :D:D:D

Crpdeth
  17. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Yuck ...:eek:.... you da loved Vietnam .....:D
  18. No kidding, Al! What Tranter would really enjoy is a nice water buffalo steak and a couple of warm 33s! If you're really nice, Tranter, we'll fix you up with a side of C-rat lima beans and pork! :eek::rolleyes:
  19. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well you ant Pistol have me on the Vietnam thing, never been there.

Do enjoy a few of these now and again though, drank these three today. Got a taste for them in S America and when they are available, I buy them. Very good for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  20. Marlin

I agree fully on the meat choices.

However, if the drink is to be a good brewsky, I want mine ICE COLD, often over a glass FULL of ice !!!!!!!!! :)