portable ground blinds

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by cjh7819, Oct 3, 2011.

1. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

Anybody with any experience with portable ground blinds? What about the cheaper models/ are they alright or are they not worth messing with? Favorites?

Thanks
    CJ
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

We got 2 from academy. Like 40 each. They are like a pop up tent without a floor. They set up quick have windows on 3 sides with full zipper flaps, a full zippered door on the other side and are big enough for me and my boy to both sit in. The ones I got have loops all over them for putting vegetation to add to the camo.

I like them simply because it take all of 5 minutes to relocate if you are not in the best spot to intercept movement..

And they camo very well. The first season i used them ('09) I had 3 doe almost run me over because they couldnt see me. I hollered at them to get them to stop just short of my blind. they were 20 feet away. Too bad bastrop county is a no doe county or I could have dropped at least 2 of the 3.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

My favorite pop up is the Predator Den. It is big enough for me to draw my bow without worrying about touching the blind. It has plenty of loops for adding cover vegetation and the windows are all velcrow shoot through with zippered covers. They also have a zippered roof flap that make the blind excellent for duck hunting. The best part is how easy the blind sets up. You don't have to turn yourself, or the blind , into a pretzel. You just pull a string on each of the walls and one on the roof and that is all there is to it. Very, Very simple to erect and take down.
  4. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I like the pop up blinds very well! Just be sure and buy one that is big enough to accommodate your style of hunting!
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I also use one, and I like it! Most of them are not water proff though, check the info on the model you choose, if you want protection from the rain. When it's really cold I use a home made heater in mine. The heater is made from a small coffee can, and a roll of tolit paper with the cardboard tube removed. Scrunch it up, put it in the can, and pour in a bottle of alcohol. I use this heater in the hollow of a cinder block (can't knock it over in there), you don't want to knock this heater over!!!! It doesn't put out a lot of heat, but will warm you hands, and feet. Alcohol burns clean, no oder, no smoke.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

thankyou all I have been contemplating getting one just because some places that I want to hunt its hard to hang a stand in the right places. And Carver I might have to try that heater sounds like a winner.
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

Can get a small one here for about 50 bucks think I will get one before season starts
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i just purchased a pop up from rurl king last week,i have heard they are very easy to set up but a bear to put back in the carrier.i plan on spraying mine with 100 percent silicone to water proof. old semperfi
  9. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I have an older blind that "pops up" when you open it. Used it for snow geese and was able to sit in it by the wheels of an irrigation system while 5 thousand snow geese came in all around me. I couldn't hear my self think with all the cackling and honking going on. Of course that ended when the steel shot started flying. The pop up is one of the taller ones, and holds two people or one person and a dog, of course the dog can be a problem as he can hear and smell the critters outside and has a tendency to cause the entire pop up to start walking around the field. You can put what ever chair you want in the blind. I haven't tried shooting a bow out of it yet.
    Recently I purchased a one person chair blind. I tried it for geese and it just doesn't work out well when you are old and fat, as you can't really get a good swing of the gun barrell out the little window in the front. It should be great for deer with a handgun or short slug gun, especially in bad weather. It cost less than $55 (with shipping) on ebay. If you have a bait pile, it should be great as you can aim it in the right direction. It comes with a cover with shoulder straps. I suggest a seat cushion to help with comfort.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  10. carver

carver Moderator

I just can't get up out of most chairs anymore, at least not in a hurry. I use a cammo 5 gallon bucket that has a swivel seat, topped with a seat cushion that heats up when compressed. Both can be bought at Wal Mart for about $20 - $25. I like the bucket because it's easier to get up off of for me, and it swivels to allow me to turn in any direction. It also has a styrofoam lined interior for storage of what ever you want to put in it, hot, or cold. It will hold you lights, or just about anything that will fit.

Attached Files:

11. carver

carver Moderator

I also sometimes use the camo burlap. Hang it up between a couple of limbs, or hang it on a few sticks stuck in the ground. Sit down behind it, and hunt.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I gotta second charles' predator den blind. I am sitting in one as i type this post. It is roomy and perfecly camo'd, i can see out like im in a pillbox MG nest, but with the shoot thru camo screens nothing can see in. I have cedar limbs in all the loops providing extra camo and masking and scent i may be giving. Im sitting in a coleman camping chair against the back wall of the blind and i have about 4 feet of space in front of me. More than enough to draw my bow. I wish i could post pics from my cell.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

I'm hunting too! I just look out the window every now, and again, to see if any thing might be around the feeder! I guess I'm lazy! What can I say! Good luck, Josh, I hope you get a big one!
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

we didnt. Only thing we got was a good assessment of the TX hunting situation.

Drought has them in survival mode. they arent moving to feed when they are supposed to, instead they are bedding near water thrut he day and moving to feed in the middle of the night. I figuring between about 2130 and 0300, because we quit the evening hunts at about 2000 when all light was gone and hit the blinds again at 0430 to wait for daylight and there were already new tracks and poop. no deer thru the day, I know becasue charles and I sat in the blinds ALL DAY yesterday. Which kinda sucked but it told us the deer are not moving at all during the daylight.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. carver

carver Moderator

I've seen a few does here in the day time, but no bucks!
  16. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

An all day sit in the blind without seeing deer is still better than all day at work.

Back to the original question, both of my pop ups have flaps at the bottom to help keep your scent inside, and they are charcoal lined to help kill your scent. The first time you fart inside your blind you realize how well those flaps actually work.

In case you are interested, the "Predator Den" is made my Primos.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dang! Wish ida known that charles. I was holding my farts all damn day cuz i didnt wanna scare the deer off.. :D
  18. Win73

Win73 New Member

I have two of the one man pop up blinds. I have killed at least four deer from them. I once had a doe standing about three feet in front of one of them. I didn't shoot that doe because I had seen a buck a little earlier and was hoping to get a shot at it. I didn't.

Another time I was in the same blind. There was a tree about three feet behind the blind. A squirrel jumped from the tree onto it apparently thinking the tree pattern on it was real. It was kinda funny. He just slid down the side of it to the ground. I guess I was fortunate that he didn't dig his claws into it and rip it open.

My niece's husband was hunting from a ground blind in Missouri. He was watching out the front window for deer when a small buck actually stuck his head in the side window. He swung his head around and was literally nose to nose with the deer. Of course when he did that the deer bolted and he couldn't get his rifle around to get a shot.
  19. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I got one of them Tepee lookin ones. Its ok but it is not water proof. Sitting in the woods in the rain in a leaky tent is not fun. It seamed that no matter where I moved in the darn thing the water dripped on my head or face.
  20. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 New Member

Would a spray on waterproofer work, or do you think that would leave a chemical smell?