The Firearms Forum banner

ported choke tubes

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TRAP55 
#1 ·
do they help much with recoil? I am thinking of one for my 870 supermag. those darned 3 1/2's are tough on me. I may even get a super cell pad as well if you guys give it a decent review.

#2 ·
Not enough to notice any difference. ported barrels do work but they have to be done right. ported tubes dont really have the abilty to help with recoil bc the porting is not directed in a recoil reducing direction. Try getting a dead mule installed if it really bothers you. Better recoil pads help too.

#3 · (Edited)
The only ported chokes ive tried that actually seem to help are the brileys and the Primos jelly head turkey tubes. The Brileys claim 5% reduction, which can be a noticeable amount when youve got a 3.5" mag producing 60 some ft lbs of recoil force.

Best bet is to have the barrel magnaported, but as Helix said, its gotta be done right and usually ends up being rather loud and 'windy' at the shooters end of the shotgun.

#4 ·
I use Briley and Rhino tubes in my Brownings, and yes there is "felt" difference. I have a 12ga 3" 870 with a 20" ported barrel, and like JLA said, it works better than the tubes, but the guy next to you in a duck blind is gonna hate you, soon as he can hear again.:)
Lengthening the forcing cone can and will reduce recoil, along with improved patterns, well worth the money to have it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.