Posse Comitatus Act --- Pistolenschutze

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pickenup, Feb 27, 2007.

1. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You made the following statement in the "STOP!!!! MAKE YOUR CHOICE" thread.
    Just wondering if you knew about the below?

Since you referred to the Posse Comitatus Act, which goes along with the Insurrection Act. A set of laws that “strictly limit(ed)” the President's ability to deploy troops within the United States. The two acts HAD historically helped to enforce strict prohibitions on military involvement in domestic law enforcement. Sadly this is no longer the case.

Public Law 109-364, or the "John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007" (H.R.5122)
    was signed into law on October 17th, 2006 by Bush. This new law allows the President to declare a "public emergency" and station troops anywhere in America and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities.

Bush tried at least twice before to circumvent the Posse Comitatus Act, and the Insurrection Act. First just after 911 using terrorism as the reason. When that didn’t fly, he CHANGED HIS REASON for wanting such a law. He then tried to get it passed with the bird flu pandemic scare, as the reasoning. Again it failed. Why did it passed this time around? See bold print below.

Shortly after passing this law, “Senator Leahy entered into the Congressional Record that he had "grave reservations about certain provisions of the fiscal Year 2007 Defense Authorization Bill Conference Report," the language of which, he said, "subverts solid, longstanding Posse Comitatus statutes that limit the military's involvement in law enforcement, thereby making it easier for the President to declare martial law." This had been "slipped in," Leahy said, "as a rider with little study," while "other congressional committees with jurisdiction over these matters had no chance to comment, let alone hold hearings on, these proposals." SURPRISE SURPRISE

You have to ask yourself, why the president felt the need to circumvent the Posse Comitatus and Insurrection Act? Why does he want to make it easier for the President to declare martial law and trample on local and state sovereignty? Forgetting about Bush for a minute, consider, he opened the doors for FUTURE presidents to be able to do this. Even if you trust Bush, future presidents having this unprecedented power, is a VERY SCARY thought.
  2. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Scarey stuff - goes with what I have seen recently about making a "North American State" out of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico - a trade combine, like in Europe. It means that private property can be gobbled to build the infrastructure (highways, bridges, et cetera) to join the 3 countries. If this does not scare you, roll over and go back to sleep ..... zzzzzzzzzzzz

LL
  3. Very interesting, Pick. I had not followed up on the Posse Comitatus Act for many years. I find the fact that it has been circumvented very disturbing indeed.
  4. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I don't know if it's Bush's idea or Cheney's , but he's already given himself the right (so he says) to tap our phones, monitor our internet use, and read our mail, all without consulting Congress, let alone us citizens. He's established the right for himself to have anyone, anywhere, arrested without charge and detained indefinitely in total secrecy. Now he's itching to start a war with Iran, to which they would immediately reply by shutting off oil shipments through the Persian Gulf -- that's one fourth of all our oil, if I'm not mistaken. This would crash our economy so fast it would give him the excuse to declare national emergency -- and since it'd be a WAR emergency, he'd say, "military takeover" right quick. Then he could put on a shiny hat and declare himself Emperor for Life.
    I've been telling people for years that this country is becoming a third-world dictatorship. It gets closer every day.
  5. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Well isn't that interesting, and disturbing.

I did not know that pickenup. So I supose that terminates what I posted too, from the federalist papers.
  6. Larry G

Larry G New Member