POSSIBLE COLT .380 FUNCTION PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Charles Christensen, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I have a Colt gov. .380 stainless that I acquired a few weeks ago and took it to the range yesterday. I used new Remington UMC TARGET ammo and fired it with the 7rnd mag it came with and two stainless U.S.A. magazines 10rnd mags that I just bought. It functioned correctly with the 7rnd mag and one of the 10's. The other 10 backed out of the gun twice and had a couple of feed errors.

Is this just a mag problem or is there something about the gun I should look at?

I love the gun and it really barks for such a small thing.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Magazine problem. Is it difficult to load past the second round?
  3. Charles Christensen

I used a magazine loader at the range without any problems so I just tried it by hand now on both mags without noticing anything odd.
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Sounds like the faulty magazine is not fitting into the gun correctly.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

USA magazines are generally regarded as, let me see now, what's that technical term - oh yeah. GARBAGE.

If you've got a USA mag that works, be happy, 'cause that don't happen that often. They are cheap enough that lots of people buy them, so they stay in business, but they are not good magazines.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Compare the locking slot on the two mags that work with the one that doesn't. 75% chance that the slots don't line up - good vs. bad. You may be able to do a little bit of fine file work on the bad slot to make it reliable. I've seen this in a couple of the USA magazines - if that is the problem, it's a fairly easy fix.
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

It will then probably start failing to feed the last round or some other issue.
  8. Charles Christensen

I put the two 10'ers together and I believe I detect a slight difference in the locking slot. I will be sending the one back to U.S.A. Mags.