Post '86 Loophole?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by kurtzbm, May 18, 2004.

1. kurtzbm

kurtzbm New Member

From what I understand, only law enforcement can purchase post '86 full-auto weapons.

Does this mean that if you get yourself deputized and work part-time at the local sherrif dept. you can purchase newer weapons?
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Yes, with a letter from the CLEO. But who will pay??? Not exactly a needed item in many LEO offices. AND it is theirs.....not yours. By the way.....it`s a loophole about like the gunshow loophole.

LTS
  3. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Exactly right.

The firearm MUST be transferred to the AGENCY, not the individual officer. Upon leaving employment with that agency, the firearm is either retained by the agency, transferred to another agency or transferred to a licensed SOT/dealer who can only transfer to another agency.

The kicker is that the post-'86 guns are MUCH less expensive, because of this.
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Its a great lesson in supply and demand. The supply of individually transferrable Class III guns is fixed. Dealer Samples/LEO units are not. Go to ImpactGuns.com and look at the basic M16 and the diff in price between the transferrable units and the Dealer Samples - OUCH. What a bummer....

Although - that makes transferrable Class II weapons a decent investment - interest is certainly there!!
  5. kurtzbm

kurtzbm New Member

How do security teams get them?

How do personal security companies get them?

Newer weapons have a greater appeal to me.

It would be real nice to be able to get a new H&K XM8 when they come out. I would like to try out a .223 weapon that has little to no recoil on full auto.

I was thinking that if I could establish a "personal security company" that would own the weapons, the corporation could own the weapons.

In the end, I guess I could plan a decade out to open a gun shop and become a dealer.

You can fire the weapons if you're a dealer, right?
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Under the law, the only "persona security companies" eligable to purchase post '86 class III weapons, are companies like the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, etc. If it's not governmental, it's not eligable.
    Now, such a civilian company could legally buy pre-86, resistered firearms, but "Deep Pockets" would likely be required.
    Yes, as a Special Occupational Taxpayer, you can shoot your 'dealer samples', but, no, they will never be yours, as personal property, because they are only transferable to a police or other government agency. And, there is a small matter of the annual tax, and license fee, to consider.
  7. SOT_II

SOT_II New Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Only Departments, Agencies or Organizations that are legitimate law enforcment or Military can. Individual officers MAY NOT personally own a post sample MG.

The only other allowence is FFL's with a SOT. They can buy and sell post samples. )7/C2's like me can buy, sell, and make post samples.

In the instances of buying and selling you need a CLEO letter for buying and if selling to another dealer. For making, an 07/C2 can build them without a letter.
  8. SOT_II

SOT_II New Member

This is not entirely true...there are TWO types of dealer samples. Pre May dealer samples, that can be owned by SOT while a dealer or MFG...and can be kept after they quit being an FFL/SOT....

Post samples can only be owned by a dealer (SOT) while a dealer (SOT)...when done they have to be sold or destroyed.