The Firearms Forum banner

Post Office Problems

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently had to send my rifle back to the mfg. for trigger work covered under warranty. It was fully insured during shipping both ways It returned to me damaged. Pictures and a description were sent to the mfg. and a claim was filed with his local Post Office. 2-3 weeks later they sent him a letter of denial stating some lame excuse about "not allowing concealed carry or assult weapons". He & I both fail to see how a reproduction 1862 Peabody Rifle would be considered either a concealed weapon or an assult weapon. They took the money for the insurance policy and then refused to honor it when shown proof of the damage they caused. The issue is still pending and hopefully will be resolve - how soon, I have no way of knowing. Personally I believe there is a small number of anti gun people working in the postal system who are causing the problem feeling that they hidden in the system and won't be found. My opinion - mind you - but I feel a quite valid one. Meanwhile, members of this site can decide for themselves how to deal with the postal system. I've already made my choice.

#2 ·
I have watched the way mail is handled at the sorting facility. I don't think it matters how carefully you pack your item, they just dump and throw it around. I get items from USPS regularly in plastic bags because of damaged or opened package

#3 ·
UPS, and FedEx handle packages the same way the Post Office does. When you are working, and sorting packages by hand, you have to throw them at their respective bins, or roll on containers, in smaller Post Offices. Once we had to read every address, and sort them to their destination, by hand. Today the USPS uses:
•The Postal Service is the world leader in optical character recognition technology with machines reading nearly 98 percent of all hand-addressed letter mail and 99.5 percent of machine printed mail.
•The Postal Service uses more than 8,500 pieces of automated processing equipment to sort nearly half the world’s mail.
•The Postal Service has one of the largest material handling systems in the world for moving mail. There are over 200 miles of conveyors within postal processing facilities.
•Tray Sorting Machines sort more than 18 million trays per day through the conveyor systems.
•The Postal Service has the largest gantry robotic fleet in the world that uses 174 robotics systems to move 314,000 mail trays per day.
•The Flats Sequencing System (FSS) sorts “flat mail” (large envelopes, magazines, etc.) in carrier walk sequence at 12,000 pieces per hour.
•The Advanced Facer Canceller System (AFCS) positions letter mail and cancels stamps at 36,000 pieces per hour.
•The Delivery Barcode Sorter (DBCS) reads the barcode on letters and sorts them at 36,000 pieces per hour.
•The Automated Flat Sorting Machine (AFSM) sorts flat mail at 17,000 pieces per hour.
•The Automated Package Processing System (APPS) sorts packages and bundles of mail at 9,500 pieces per hour.
•The Automated Parcel and Bundle Sorter (APBS) sorts packages and bundles of mail at 6,000 pieces per hour.
•The Mail Transport Equipment Ordering system was introduced in 2012. MTEOR standardizes the ordering process for mail transport equipment (MTE), allowing mailers to order MTE online and improving equipment management efficiency.
•Intelligent Mail increases the value of mail for both the Postal Service and its customers. The Intelligent Mail barcode (IMb) identifies individual pieces of mail, trays, sacks and containers of mail, and tracks them through the processing system.
•All packages with tracking barcodes are scanned throughout the postal system. In the past year, the APBSs have been upgraded with improved camera technology and increased barcode read rates.

#4 ·
I always send a gun FedEx and use Express. It cost more but it is the safest way to ship a gun. Express is separate from ground and has low volume at there Express sort locations compared to UPS or USPS. They mix all shipments into one sort facility and they are overloaded.

I have been in all these sort facilities and seen this 1st hand.

#5 ·
UPS, and FedEx handle packages the same way the Post Office does. When you are working, and sorting packages by hand, you have to throw them at their respective bins, or roll on containers, in smaller Post Offices. Once we had to read every address, and sort them to their destination, by hand. Today the USPS uses:
•The Postal Service is the world leader in optical character recognition technology with machines reading nearly 98 percent of all hand-addressed letter mail and 99.5 percent of machine printed mail.
•The Postal Service uses more than 8,500 pieces of automated processing equipment to sort nearly half the world's mail.
•The Postal Service has one of the largest material handling systems in the world for moving mail. There are over 200 miles of conveyors within postal processing facilities.
•Tray Sorting Machines sort more than 18 million trays per day through the conveyor systems.
•The Postal Service has the largest gantry robotic fleet in the world that uses 174 robotics systems to move 314,000 mail trays per day.
•The Flats Sequencing System (FSS) sorts "flat mail" (large envelopes, magazines, etc.) in carrier walk sequence at 12,000 pieces per hour.
•The Advanced Facer Canceller System (AFCS) positions letter mail and cancels stamps at 36,000 pieces per hour.
•The Delivery Barcode Sorter (DBCS) reads the barcode on letters and sorts them at 36,000 pieces per hour.
•The Automated Flat Sorting Machine (AFSM) sorts flat mail at 17,000 pieces per hour.
•The Automated Package Processing System (APPS) sorts packages and bundles of mail at 9,500 pieces per hour.
•The Automated Parcel and Bundle Sorter (APBS) sorts packages and bundles of mail at 6,000 pieces per hour.
•The Mail Transport Equipment Ordering system was introduced in 2012. MTEOR standardizes the ordering process for mail transport equipment (MTE), allowing mailers to order MTE online and improving equipment management efficiency.
•Intelligent Mail increases the value of mail for both the Postal Service and its customers. The Intelligent Mail barcode (IMb) identifies individual pieces of mail, trays, sacks and containers of mail, and tracks them through the processing system.
•All packages with tracking barcodes are scanned throughout the postal system. In the past year, the APBSs have been upgraded with improved camera technology and increased barcode read rates.
I agree Carver. Our USPS is a wonderful delivery system. I still would ship a gun FedEx Express.

#6 ·
I also use FedEx, simply because the USPS won't ship hand guns except under conditions that 99.9% of us can't meet. They will ship rifles, and shotguns, but why bother.

#7 ·
I am very well aware of how the system works but the facts remains that #1 the package was damaged in transit by them and #2 they refused to honor a valid insurance claim for this damage. I find their excuse about the concealed carry and assult weapons a total farce. They have no reason for denial except to shovel out this s***.

#8 ·
They accepted the package for shippment, and they accepted the money for that, and the insurance, it's a no contest. They should have payed up right away. Hang in there, you just need to talk to the right person.

#10 ·
i try very hard NOT to use the uspo for ANY pachaged shipments !!! I drove semi for several years (55 foot trlrs) subcontract hauler for the main postal distribution center here in northern calif (w.sacramento) more then once i saw (and reported) cases of dock workers trying to see who could kick the farthest a package labeled with 'glass' stickers on it !!!! or they hadn't finished their domino game or acey duecy game so they would get pissed when they had to stop to unload our trailers (our time stops when we pull into the dock) but have to wait till they unload to park the trailers (their mule guy would spend the day sleeping and didnt want to be bothered with NON po trailers) A REAL SIGN OF OUR GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE'S AT WORK ,, THE WORST SIGNS OF RACIAL CONFLICT I HAVE EVER SEEN WAS ON THE P.O. DOCKS !! and management type were as bad as the workers. EFFICIENCY ??? how about hauling an empty 55' trlr 200 miles empty both ways (on more then one occasion) guess i should stop here, NOT ALL civil service employees are bad,, but a lot need to be re-educated about their entitlement jobs !!! especially the politicians,, these LIFETIME positions need to be stopped..

#11 ·
I am very well aware of how the system works but the facts remains that #1 the package was damaged in transit by them and #2 they refused to honor a valid insurance claim for this damage. I find their excuse about the concealed carry and assult weapons a total farce. They have no reason for denial except to shovel out this s***.
The easiest way to deal with this is get a lawyer. File a lawsuit for breach of contract and sue them. Sue them for the damages, plus your legal fees plus an additional $50,000 for breach of contract. That will get their attention fast and they will settle it out of court.

#12 ·
Final Outcome of Claim --
The Post office finally sent the check for settlement of the claim after 2+ months of letter writing and in-person meetings at my local P.O. Now I can proceed with the repairs But I WON'T BE SHIPPING WITH THE POST OFFICE. I learned my lesson !!

#14 ·
I retired from the PO in November and I have always trusted them. I am rethinking that trust now. I have sent 5 packages in the past 6 weeks. Two of them gun related stuff (one being an AR-57 upper) and three packages to my Daughter in Hawaii. Two of the ones that I sent to Hawaii were damaged and some of the stuff missing. The one that weighed 32 pounds made it just fine!! The AR upper package was damages but the guy said that I had packed it in such a way that every thing was OK with it.

#17 ·
USPS insurance is a fraud and a joke. I mailed a camel hair coat to my son. It was delivered to someone else. The P.O. at far end claimed I never mailed etc, etc. It was six months and many letters before they finally paid the insurance. Today letters go USPS packages go FEDEX.

#18 ·
USPS insurance is a fraud and a joke. I mailed a camel hair coat to my son. It was delivered to someone else. The P.O. at far end claimed I never mailed etc, etc. It was six months and many letters before they finally paid the insurance. Today letters go USPS packages go FEDEX.
It may be a joke, but I think that if you got your money, then no fraud was committed.

#20 ·
Final Outcome of Claim --
The Post office finally sent the check for settlement of the claim after 2+ months of letter writing and in-person meetings at my local P.O. Now I can proceed with the repairs But I WON'T BE SHIPPING WITH THE POST OFFICE. I learned my lesson !!
Glad it finally worked out for you. I hate it when BIG companies think they can pull this kind of thing on us, just because they can. I'm retired from the PO, but I ship UPS, or FEDEX, letters go USPS, but that's all. It doesn't have anything to do with the way packages are handled, but the simple fact the PO is government run, and guns are a bad thing with our government. I stay away form that mind set. You found out how bad it is, and I'm sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way. You should see what happens at a PO when a package containing a gun gets accidently opened on the working floor! Things get crazzy! Everything in the area gets shut down, and postal inspectors are call in! It's a riot for sure!

#22 ·
I will tell you why I choose the Post Office over the other two big shipping companies. It is mainly a matter of economics. Last week I sent a 32 pound package to my daughter on the island of Maui in Hawaii. UPS shipping was going to cost something link $112.00, I sent it by USPS and it cost me $71.11. That is a savings of $41 and some change. Why should I have to pay an extra forty bucks for the same service.

:rant: When my daughter buys something from eBay, she has them ship it to me an I send it on to her. Some of these idiots on eBay charge extra to mail stuff to Hawaii. WHY? Don't these idiots know that Hawaii is one of these United States and the US Postal Service delivers mail there same as it does to Athens, Georgia. All right, rant over!! :rant:

#24 · (Edited)
i hate to point this out... but the USPS has this bad history of running in the red... constantly
I have to defend the PO a little.

The PO does run in the red and has done so for probably the last 8 to 10 years. I worked for them for 16 years and every year I saw a tremendous decrease in the volume of mail, and I worked at a small plant. The employees salaries stayed the same or went up, the same amount of delivery vehicles roam the streets delivering less mail and he price of gas has tripled or quadrupled. The same amount of tractor/trailers are taking less mail to and from one processing plant to another or to small offices and the price of diesel fuel has also kept up with the gas prices.

Then on top of all of that, the Post Office has to pay 5.5 billion (with a B) dollars a year to fund it's insurance/retirement system. They are already probably paid up for the next 100 years but congress still says they have to pay it. The PO asked congress to allow it to stop Saturday delivery to save a billion or so a year but are not allowed to do that. The PO asked to be allowed to quit making that yearly $5.5 Billion insurance/retirement payment for a while but were not allowed to to that so they defaulted on that for the past couple of years.

Also, keep in mind that the Postal Service does't not get one red cent from the US Government. It is a self contained private business whose only source of income is derived from postage.

Yep, I would say they operate in the red!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.