The Firearms Forum banner

Pot Roast for the O.F. Patrol

865 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  woolleyworm 
#1 ·
Getting ready for the annual Winter outing for the Old Farts Patrol. Been doing this for more years than I can remember with a bunch of Boy Scout Dads who wanted their own weekend outing where they didn't have to be roll models for the boys. That's right, a weekend of grown men behaving poorly. Scotch, bourbon, wine, cigars, cards till 3 a..m. etc. The boys are all grown now and have families of their own, but we continue the tradition. This year will be 2 cabins at Lake Hope in Southern Ohio. I volunteered to make the Saturday dinner and wanted to get it out of the way early so I wouldn't have to make pot roast for 13 hungry guys in a cabin that's too small to really cook in. I bought 12# of boneless chuck roast, seasoned with salt, fresh cracked pepper & granulated garlic, then seared it in olive oil. I deglazed the pans (took three pots for all the meat) with 1/2C of Cabernet Sauvignon, thinly sliced onions and fresh garlic, then put the meat back in and covered it with a mixture of cream of mushroom soup & beef broth. 2-1/2 hrs in the oven at 325F and the meat was done, so I took it out to rest before slicing. Made gravy from the drippings and more beef broth then covered the sliced meat with the gravy. Damn, did it smell good in here today. It's in the pans in the freezer and I'll heat it up on Feb 2nd. and serve it with oven roasted potatoes, steamed & buttered vegetable medley and fresh from the oven dinner rolls that I'll make there.

FYI, 12# of chuck roast yielded just a whisker over 6# of sliced meat. That's almost 1/2# per man.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for letting us know what it is Joe, don't have to play 50 million questions unlike some other shady folks here.....:eek::eek::halo:

Looks delicious as usual, slap some on a couple of those rolls you make and I'd be in heaven!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.