The Firearms Forum banner

Powder charge question for replica 1861 colt contract rifle.

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Larry Grimes 
#1 ·
I am researching powder charges to use with a 500 grain .575 minie ball in my 58 cal 1861 replica colt contract rifle and the civil war charge seems to be 60 grains with 40 being min target to 80 being maximum hunting.

My question is if this is 60 grains by volume or weight. I use 100 grains by volume in my black powder 50 cal hunting rifle. seems to me that 60 grains for a bullet that is twice as big would be a little anemic.

#4 ·
60 grains of FFG black powder either by weight and volume was the standard CW charge for the 58 caliber rifles. You are getting off a little into the weeds when you ask the question "By weight or volume" because of the black powder substitutes (pyrodex, etc.) that are on the market.

Normally, when you substitute one of these modern propellants, you are supposed to do so by substituting the volume of space that a given charge weight of black powder would occupy. You do not want to weigh out this substitute propellant and use it 'grain-for-grain'. Most of the time the granuals of substitute propellant are much lighter in weight than are the granuals of black powder.

When you measure out a charge, be sure to use a measurer that will throw 60 grains, and that way you will have the right charge for either black powder or black powder substitute. Of course, depending on your use, you may want to use more or less of a charge for what you are going to use it for.

#5 ·
Something else to add, you need to work up your load just as you would do for reloading a cartridge, start with a lower load and fire for group size, as you work up the group will get smaller, as you work up further at some point the group will start expanding again. For hunting you want the heaviest charge that retains the best accuracy, it won't do you any good to have a full house max load if you can't hit a deer cleanly with it.

Don't exceed the manufacture's stated maximum charge for your rifle.

And something else to note, heavy charges won't burn completely before the bullet exits the bore, too much powder and the excess powder ends up on the ground in front of you without adding any energy to the bullet.

#6 ·
What's the weight of the projectile you use in your 50 cal.? Adding powder isn't the only way to increase pressure.

#8 ·
You can weigh real black but not the subs. 60 grains as was said was the original U.S. service load with 65 being the C.S. service load. A 500 grain minie with 60-70 grains of powder is very destructive. It packs a lot more punch than you would think. If you go too high on the powder charge with a standard minie the pressure will blow past the skirt and your accuracy will go out the window.

#9 ·
With my original .58 cal, 1863 Springfield, which I shoot only at the range, I use 50 or 60 gr of 2f powder. Either load kicks like a mule, using either patched round balls or minies, but both are accurate. I think the round balls may be a bit more accurate - minies' advantage was quicker and easier ramming, important in combat but not so much at the range, and heavier projectile weight. Round balls may be a bit cheaper than minies. Patched round balls help reduce fouling between shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.