Powder Cop Die

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ckelley, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ckelley

ckelley Member

I had my first reloaded round without powder in it yesterday. Luckily, the lack of powder caused the slide on my 1911 to lockup so another round could not be fired with a bullet lodged in the barrel. Getting the slide open took a little work, but in retrospect I am glad that that was the case rather than something worse happening with the obstructed barrel. With that said, any suggestions on a powder cop die? I have a Hornady LNL progressive press with five stations. It is currently set up with the sizing die, expanding die, powder measure, seating die, then a Lee FCD. I could either take out the FCD and move the seating die into the 5th position and start using that to crimp so the powder cop can go into the 4th position, or I can get Hornady's powder drop expander drop tube, move the powder measure into 2nd position and put the powder cop into the 3rd position. How do you guys setup your progressive presses for using a powder cop? Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

wouldnt it be easier to just look into the case before seating a bullet?
  3. Waldog

Waldog Member

Get rid of the Expanding die. Buy this, http://www.powderfunnels.com/ and expand your cases while you are dumping powder. This opens up a station so you can use a Lock-out die or a Powder Cop Die. Both work. However, I agree with JLA. I always look directly into the case prior to seating bullets. I do recommend seating bullets and crimping separately. Use a Taper Crimp Die for 9mm, 40S&W and , 45 ACP. LEE FCD are more trouble than they are worth.
  4. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Now Josh, why do you have to make his big problem sound so simple to solve.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

+1. The Lnl setup is normally putting a powder charged case right under your nose, so watching the cases before bullet seating is convienient. One thing to make sure of is to cinch that powder measure locking ring and die bushing with a 1 1/8" wrench before starting. A loose bushing under the Measure can allow the entire assembly to lift off in lieu of the case actually activating the rotor and dropping powder when the casing is raised to recieve the charge.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Becasue it really is that simple isnt it??

;)
  7. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I suppose I will continue to use my RCBS powder flask, and check all the charged rounds with a flashlight after filling them. I don't have any problems that way. I do have rare misfires with bad primers.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is what I do. I look into each case and it is just a habit. The thing is this. With the Hornady progressive press the only way you can either over charge the case, or under charge the case is to manipulate the shell holder position. If you turn the shell holder either forward (you will have an empty case) or backwards (you will double charge the case) when you are in the middle of the stroke then you are manipulating the process and this is where the mess up starts. If you find that you have to manipulate the shell plate, then rotate the shell holder by half stroking the press handle and clear the brass from the shell holder. Then, making sure each piece of brass is empty of powder, one at a time run each piece of brass through the process completing each one to the reloaded state. Then, once you have those safely reloaded, begin the process carefully loading the shell holder and try not to manipulate your press.

I use all 5 stations for my press so I don't have room for a powder cop. Position 1 is deprimer, 2 is beller, 3 is powder, 4 is bullet seat, and 5 is the Lee taper crimp die. Just looking into each case after each one is filled with powder works for me.

Once again the only way to have a dud on the O.P.s press is to manipulate the shell holder. Is there a reason you had to manipulate your press? If you can figure out what went wrong on that step then your problem should go away.

Hope that helps.
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have to disagree highboy, all that needs to occur is the powder measure die bushing becomes loose and the case intended for a charge pushes the entire assembly upward and does not activate the rotor. Watch closely at :25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0OGD8oIYzU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  10. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Yep, works for me.