1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

powder dippers and custom dippers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

was thinking about getting a set of those lee powder dippers, and was talking to a buddy in indiana about it.. he's been one i've been sponging info off of since I started relaoding last month.

he reloads only 2 caliber.. 1 pistol, 1 rifle.

he only uses 2 powders. one for the pistol, one for the rifle.

he mad up a set of custom powder dippers. he took some scrap brass cases.. ie.. a bottle neck cartridge that had a damaged throat.. for his 308.. he lef a dead primer in it and cut the cartridge down so that when loaded level with powder, it was the correct volume / weight of charge for that single powder for that rifle. he stores his dippers in a lil box.. he knows what he's grabbing as he uses the actual cartridge for that gun. ie.. the dipper for his 308 is a cut down 308 case.. same for his pistol. a quick scoop and level off and he's at his 'set' charge he's worked up and uses with a specific bullet type.

I thought that souded kinda neat and wondered if anybody else did that?

i guess as he adds calibers, he cuts off one of each case once he works up a load he likes, then adds it to the box I think he mentioned soldering a piece of house wire copper wire to t he cases as a handle for dipping...

sounded interesting anyway. guess it works ok if you have 1 set charge to load for and one powder type.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i have a couple shells brazed onto wire to bulk out a load and then i use a trickler to make it exact the shells are just shy of the load i want

i have one for the .40 S&W and another for 22-250 and .308 which are my set loads

DONT USE WHIPPY WIRE for the handle !! ya end up tossing powder everywhere
  3. soundguy

i'm thinking about making a set for myself.. i'll use like 10-2 house wire.. pretty stiff stuff.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I've got a few that I made up..Just solder a wire handle to a case that's been trimmed down to hold your charge weight.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, I've got a few custom dippers, plus a semi-complete Lee set.

The homemade ones are exactly as you describe. An empty casing trimmed to length to provide the desired charge and a copper wire handle soldered on.
    I store the custom ones right in the die box for the caliber they're tuned for.

Just like when I'm setting up a regular powder measure (Uniflow, Redding#3, Lyman55, etc) I throw a few charges from those dippers onto the scale before I start stuffing cases just to make sure that my dip/tap/pour technique for the dippers is consistent so I get consistent charges.
    After I've got my technique settled in, I usually only scale every 10th charge or so for pistol loads.
    I'm still anal enough that I scale every rifle load that I use a dipper for
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

to be honest i aint used em much since last Christmas , got a great auto scale setup from the kids , took a while to get it as i wanted but now it runs way faster than i can take em off i run it about 1/2 speed thats about 100 in 2 min's
  7. soundguy

cool, glad to hear! I will dig thru my box of scrap brass and select a few cases for dipper making. I already have a charge worked out for my 30-06.. so that will be the first one I make.

it sounde dlike a good deal when my buddy mentioned it.. just wanted to run it by the relaoding-brain-trust here before I did it.

8. mikld

mikld Active Member

I have a bunch, from 25 ACP cases up to 1/2" brass ferrels. Some have coat hanger wire soldered on for handles and some use brazing rod. I always use a scale with my scoops even though with practice and the right powder, I can hold 2/10ths of a grain. When I started reloading (in '69) I was using Lee Loaders so I got used to scooping powder and made some dippers for "custom" loads (second piece of equipment I bought was a scale). Now I have 3 powder measures, 3 scales, and mebbe 15 dippers, plus a Lee set, and I use them all depending on how I feel. I'm retired and ain't in no hurry...
  9. soundguy

i'm psyched now.. can't wait to cut some brass down and make some custom dippers for loads I have worked out. i think i'll do what my buddy does and do case specific.. IE.. his dipper with 308 case is for 308.. etc.. etc.. and keep that for each caliber.. 30-30 cut down for 30-30.. etc.. etc. like someone else said.. just store it int he die set case..
  10. RandyP

RandyP Member

Dippers work and obviously an adjustable volume dispenser is the means most all powder dispensers use. Dipper/disk hole/variable cavity volume dispenser.......they all measure out the powder the same way.