Powder disk chart ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Texxut, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Texxut

Texxut Member

I have a Lee Pro 1000 that uses the powder disk with several different size openings. Is there a chart somewhere that will give me an approximation of the weight of the different powders? Or do I need to load the hopper and start weighing what the different holes drop? I would have quessed the Lee site would have something like that, but I sure can't find it. Any help out there?
    TIA.
  2. Texxut

Texxut Member

Re: Powder disk chart ? Found it !

I found it on the Lee site, it was buried in there, but it was there. Thanks
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Lee manual 2nd ed. also has the chart listed in pgs 708-710.
  4. Archie

Archie Member

From experience, the charges listed in the Lee charts are a bit over labeled. I've never had them, in any configuration, throw within 5% or so of what they claim. They've always been on the light side. Probably for safety and litigation purposes. Sigh...

Powders also change weight by absorbing or loosing moisture. Production runs ("lots") of powders vary from one lot to the next. Powder weight per volume is never carved in stone.

Use the chart as a basic guide and then weigh a few and adjust.
  5. Texxut

Texxut Member

Thanks for the info guys, I printed out the charts from Lee's site and have been checking weights dropped with Bullseye and Unique. The disk, does drop light, but that's ok, I always weight the charge till I'm satisfied the drop is giving me what I want. I've got an RCBS powder drop and an old Ohaus drop, that works very well, but it's taking some getting used to, with this progressive. With the other drops, I charge a tray of cases, then eyeball each one. How do you guys satisfy yourself that the auto powder drop is dropping consistent charges, I can't see the powder in the case as the cases advance around the machine.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

When I am setting up with a new powder or charge wt, I have several cases that are clearly marked for test only. They are dead primed and I put them in at stage 2, I cycle them all through, weight each charge to verify. The reason behind keeping these test cases seperate is that I don't want to fire brass that has had repeated "belling" of the mouth; I could back off the expander die, but would rather leave it alone. The test cases work out well for me, I usually run 3 cycles of 6 cases to make sure my adjustment and drop is to my liking.

Every 10-12th round I will pull a case and verify also. When I set the bullet on the case, I check to see where the level is at. I don't have a bullet feeder, so there's nothing in the way to see inside the case.
  7. Texxut

Texxut Member

Thanks Wooleyworm, I'll try that.