Powder dispensers I tried them all!`

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by billr, May 9, 2005.

1. billr

billr New Member

Powder dispensers I tried them all, and thrir location

I have been looking for the most accurate powder dispenser that there is.
    I tried RCBS Charge Master it was all over the place very undependable in its charges , scary.
    I tried Harrel I did 50 charges trying to maintan a even throw it sarted at 25 grains and progesivly went to 26 grains, I sent it back as well.
    I tried the JDS which I could not operate with any sucsess , It is in my opinion very technical at least for me I am 70 years old and at this point it was more than I wanted to try to operate.
    The gentle man who owns it was very nice however its not for me.
    I came up with a real winner and that's a Pact dispenser and scale its slow but I believe in it , it stays with in one one tenth of a grain mostly right on , I check it on other scales.The cost is less than the competition.
    I should recieve a Bruno tonight I am looking forward to trying it ,it should be very fast if I can maintain a very even throw.
    I rteally tried to find the best one.
    Bill r
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Bill_r, please give us the URL's of the things you have been buying. I have never heard of Harrels or Bruno before. Waiting on your input.
  3. billr

billr New Member

Re: Powder dispensers I tried them all,and locations

Hi the Harrel is sold by Sinclair in Indiana, phone 800 717 8211.= $230.00 or around that no#
    the Bruno in Phoenix Arizona ,www.brunoshooters.com look on internet for Bruno supply's they are into lots of stuff I believe the measure is made in Germany very precise =$350.00 , this is suposed to be the best of them all,
    JDS located in Spokane Washington , it most likly will do a good job , I just don't want to figure the thing out = about $240.00 if you get the bells and whistles other wise less.
    I picked up on these as the guy' talk about them.
    Bill
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay Bill I found the measures. They are very high priced for something a RCBS powder measure can give you. Of course I am speaking about the mechanical measure.

Now, there are several things you need to consider. The first is if you are using an extruded powder like IMR 4064 or any of those. This can be a pain, because the measure will actually have to cut through the extruded powder. However, I have never had it out more than 0.1 of a grain if I use the correct rythm on the measure.

You need to set up a rythm with a powder measure. I always use 3 taps up and 3 taps down, all using the same force. You tap using the meaures handle on the machine. In other words, tap tap tap up to fill the measure and tap tap tap down to get all the powder out. I do this for each and every load. You have to maintain a constant rythm! You also need to have a powder baffle installed in the bottom of the powder measure tube. If your measure does not come with one, then you can buy them from places like MidwayUSA! This is also very necessary for constant charge weights as it keeps the powder at a constant downward force in the measure itself.

The last thing I would suggest if working with extruded powders is to switch to a Hodgden 'short cut' extruded powder which will measure better when using your measure. Hodgeden makes makes several powders like H4831SC. The SC denotes short cut! Also the best powder to measure are the flake and ball powders. Winchester makes the ball powders.

Try this and let us know. My RCBS measure has been throwing charges for 30 years with no problem if I do my part.
  5. billr

billr New Member

100 charges of 4350 written down they were average of one tenth on the light side I tried that with the others they were off as much as one half a grain , I think of all of them the Brunno is worth every penny , you don't stop buying scopes for 6 hundred bucks why not have a powder measure that works.The only other one that would measure 4350 was the Pact trickle it is wonderful.
    I would feel conforable with 4350 going direct to the case with the Brunno with out weighing , not bad right?
    Bill
  6. Archie

Archie Member

Bill, I am going to tell you something you probably don't want to hear.

Loading 4350 in a .308 or .30-06? Variations of half a grain of powder will not effect your accuracy enough to bother. If you load ten rounds and measure each one, insuring you have exactly XX.X grains of powder, you will find you have as much variation from shot to shot than you do with ten 'thrown' charges in the same case.

Not only that, but the velocity (and therefore drop) variation derived from half a grain of powder isn't noticable.

I do not know what discipline you shoot. I shoot two Remington VLS rifles, one in .22-250 Remington and t'other in .308 Winchester. Both will group at .5" and under (depending on how I hold my mouth). I have chronographed numerous loads through these rifles and half a grain of powder just does not make any difference.

It's your money, Bill. And your rifle and time and so forth. Sounds like you're a big kid and can make up your own mind about things. If you simply want the best powder measure you can find, go for it.

For everyone else, most powder measures will suffice. If you want precision, get a Lee 100 grain scale and a trickler. You can make them come out the same.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I love the smell of IMR in the morning...
    Archie
  7. rethaew

rethaew New Member

try the Hornady Lock-N-Load powder measure. $60 and it is extremely accurate - the best I have found. I have loaded hundreds of the same round and the thing is absolutely perfect. Excellent results on all types of power.
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Now that we are discussing powder measures, maybe someone can comment on my problem. I am reloading with a Dillon 650, mostly pistol calibers and .30 carbine. I have to weigh most of my loads on an electronic powder scale because I can get variations of as much as 0.6 gr. Every time I walk away and come back in a few days I have to throw about 6 charges before I start to get any kind of reliability in powder charges. Is this normal for a Dillon progressive press?
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Wonderwhipppet:

You are leaving the powder in the measure for days? Not the recommended procedure. The chemicals in the powder will eventually turn the plastice black so that you will no longer be able to see the powder level. In addition it is good practice to have only one bottle of powder on the bench at one time and to put the powder back into that bottle at the end of the loading session. This assure that you always know which powder is in the measure and don't have to rely on multiple day old memory. 40 to 50 grains of Bulleye in a 30/06 isn't conducive to long life or good for the gun (!!!!!).

I suspect that the powder is settling during the extended stay and compressing. The action of a Dillon press powder measure is pretty violent and that keeps the powder evenly dispersed and stirred up in the measure's supply tube. sitting for days may make the powder settle and compress.

Dillon measures are used (without weighing) for competition on a regular basis. In fact I once saw an advertisement where all the ammo for some prestigious match was regularly loaded on a Dillon progressive with great success. Dillon stuff in general is very good and if it is not they fix it and provide it as a repair item for free to all previous customers in an extremely timely manner. Good products, good people!

LDBennett
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, LDB said it all. I too have the 650 and you cannot leave the powder in the measure even overnight. In addition to what LDB says, please remember that sitting out in the open air, powder picks up moisture and changes the burning rate. This can lead to problems with your reloads. Hope this helps.

IPT
  11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Well, I think you guys have thoroughly solved my problem. What you say makes a great deal of sense. Believe it or not, I have left large amounts of powder in my dispenser for many months at a time! Also, my powder tube has turned very dark, just as you described. Is there any way to restore the transparency?
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Buy a new powder measure. Sorry, but the discolorations are not removeable. Sorry for your loss, but hope this helps you learn a little. When finished reloading, empty the measure into the original and ONLY open powder container on your bench. Hard lesson to learn, but learn better safe than sorry.
  13. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

My name is Bruce & I too, am a powderholic. I confess, I have a dark powder dispenser on my Dillon 650. I tried to empty it regularly, but I always ran out of primers & bullets & cases, before the powder was gone, & then I was tired. But You have shown me the way & I have seen the Light!( even if I can't tell how much powder is left in there ) Always glad to learn something new. Don't remember if Dillon gives you that info or not. But I digress... When's the next 12 step meeting? :eek:
  14. ssleefl

ssleefl New Member

Archie is a smart man. One or two pieces of extruded powder will make a good scale move. But that one or two pieces of powder won't make a difference in your shot.

I use a Lee $20 to throw extruded powder. If I'm feeling anal I'll throw short charges (-.2) and trickle up. I often get SD's of 15fps with it. It doesn't crush the powder as it has a "wiper" and is more acurate and easier to use than my Redding at a quarter of the cost. The only thing is that it doesnt like ball powder. That's what the Redding is for.

If you don't believe me it will only cost you $20 to find out. What can it hurt.

Steve
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005