Powder Measure Baffle

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by crzy2k, Jan 29, 2011.

1. crzy2k

crzy2k New Member

New to reloading. Have a Hornady powder measure that included a baffle. The manual doesn't mention it only a data sheet that was included. I tried using it but it seemed to hinder the powder fall. I am using Trail Boss powder, and it seems very light in weight comparitively. Should I not use the baffle or is it a necessity? Probably a very basic question, but could use some help here.
  2. Texxut

Texxut Member

If the Trail Boss wasn't metering well with the baffle, I'd try it without and use the method that gives you the most consistent results.

Welcome to the forum ! :D
  3. medalguy

medalguy Member

I can't imagine why Trailboss would not fall through a baffle. I'd recommend always using a baffle just to keep the pressure on the bottom of the column of powder equal. You will probably discover that not using the baffle will cause your loads to drop in volume as you drop the height of the powder column.

But, as texxut said, whatever works best, and welcome!
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Did you clean the measure and run a good amount of powder through it before using it? If not, empty it out; clean the inside ( wipe it down with a used sheet of Bounce or other dryer sheet ) and then throw at least 1/2 measure of powder through it with the baffle. Then see if your charges are coming out consistently.
  5. crzy2k

crzy2k New Member

Thanks to all for the answers - some good advice.