Powder Measure for Ball Powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dutchboy, Nov 12, 2011.

1. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I must be missing something. You should not have to do any set up unless you are going to switch from loading standard type cases to the Ultra mags. You do not even have to change anything then, you can just double throw. 99% of the time I just double throw. Maybe once every 10 years I actually switch it over. Just pour powder in and start dialing. Usually I have it within 4 or 5 throws. I need some powder for the trickler anyway and that is as good a way as any to get it in there.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use H110 and AA#5 in my RCBS Uniflow without any problems at all.
  3. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Member

This was my experience.

On the set-up side, I found it quicker to make throw adjustments with the Lee. A partial turn of the lock nut, and I can spin the adjustment screw with ease. With the RCBS, I had to back off the lock nut a lot more. That's a small issue. A bigger issue was with the take-down. With the Lee, I can just rotate the powder hopper, which shuts off the powder flow, make a couple of throws to dump the metering unit, lift off the hopper, and then drain out all the powder back into the container by turning the powder flow back on. That's super easy. Getting all of the powder back in the original container takes less than 30 seconds.

With the RCBS, I have to run the adjustment screw all the way out, and then make dozens of throws to run the powder out of the hopper. I also found that the powder clings to the inside of the RCBS much more than the Lee. (Yes, I ran a pound of powder through unit before I start using it.)

If someone has a better way of clearing out the RCBS unit, please teach me.
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Become reasonably efficient at guessing how much powder you will need. You dont have to fill it to the top.
  5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

What am I missing? My uniflow is mounted on the RCBS mount. I remove the mounting nut, invert the measure over the powder container, and pour it in.
    With the uniflow, I've found that I can invert the hopper over a Hodgdon 1 lb. can, and just leave it that way as I flip it over into the mount. The can seals in the hopper perfectly. That way, the powder can becomes an increased capacity hopper attachment. When I'm done, I reverse the process, and the powder is back in the can. It would be physically impossible for this to be easier.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  6. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Member

That's brilliant, Regular Joe.

I'm embarrassed that I never thought of that myself. Once the thing was tightened down, it never crossed my mind that I could take it off again.

Thanks for the tip!
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

+1