1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Powder/Primer shelf life????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Rogeritall, Sep 17, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Frank was my cat. I hate cats, but Frank grew on me. he had a neat personality and would sit on my shoulder like a damn parrot. Neighborhood strays ate him.
  2. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Sorry to hear about your loss JLA... Yeah, it's funny how a cat can grow on a person sometimes. I never considered myself a cat person, but this is one that has shared my home for about 16 years now named Ms. Priscilla. When she's gone I'll likely never get another cat... My wife took the photo of her.

[​IMG]

As far as the reloading is going, I've just about got everything set up and gathered together to start. I've already polished and prepared about 100 rounds of .223 brass, and hopefully today I'll do up a small batch of test ammo. It won't be long before I'm into the swing of things now... I hope. :) Spare time is more difficult to make then the ammunition probably will be.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Aint that the truth..
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

think about all that 50-80 year milsurp ammo that gets shot every day.. :)

FWIW.. I keep all my powder cans in sealed contaners or ziplock bags ( IE.. the entire powder coantiner in a ziplock, in the case of 1# cans.. or the larger in sealed plastic tubs, container intact.

I keep all my dies in ziplocks.. as well as primers. I'm starting a campaign to ziplock ALL my boxed and bulk ammo.

long term thinking here.. :)

my stuff stays in climate control.. but it never hurts...
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I keep my primers in several plastic dry boat boxes with rubber seals around lid, in a dry area (in an old blanket chest) in basement. Interior Alaska is dry country, my humidity meter stays from 35% to 45% humidity which I consider dry, plus we have a woodstove in basement, runs 10 months/year; no mold in this basement. Yet, my dessicant (alum) tins go from blue to pink every 6 months, and I dry them out in over, back to blue. Should I have any concerns? Any better idears to keep primers dry for long term storage? No joke, want to keep these primers good for my grandkids, so they won't want for ammo when the caribou show up.

Also, I have friends who keep powder outside in sheds in old military boxes. Now it gets minus 65 come January and goes up to plus 90 come June. If screw lids are tight, are powder jugs safe from humidity? I'd like to keep powder outside rather than in basement. Currently, I have it in a heavy metal job master type chest.

Whatcha all think?
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

temperature consistency is best. id think the extreme temperature variances would help degrade the powder. Tell em to move it inside
  7. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I have powder that's 30 years old from when I first started reloading.
    I simply tried other things and forgot about it and two others a few years younger.
    All three were tested 2 years ago and worked fine. The powders have always been stored in original containers and in climate controlled environs.
    I found some 18 year old primers in my Fathers stuff just last year, worked great. The price tag was still on there, boy has reloading gotten expensive or what? :)
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have primers that are about 20 years old that are in my regular stores for use.

As to the price of reloading supplies, inflation since 1997, when I retired, is at 44%. That is, it takes $144 today to get the same buying power as $100 in 1997. Have your wages/income gone up 44% since then? My retirement certainly hasn't! Supposedly insignificant inflation in the range of 1% to 4% when compounded over 15 years becomes significant.

Reloading supplies and anything gun related seems to have gone up more than 44% (??).

LDBennett