Powder/Primer shelf life????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Rogeritall, Sep 17, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

temperature consistency is best. id think the extreme temperature variances would help degrade the powder. Tell em to move it inside
  2. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I have powder that's 30 years old from when I first started reloading.
    I simply tried other things and forgot about it and two others a few years younger.
    All three were tested 2 years ago and worked fine. The powders have always been stored in original containers and in climate controlled environs.
    I found some 18 year old primers in my Fathers stuff just last year, worked great. The price tag was still on there, boy has reloading gotten expensive or what? :)
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have primers that are about 20 years old that are in my regular stores for use.

As to the price of reloading supplies, inflation since 1997, when I retired, is at 44%. That is, it takes $144 today to get the same buying power as $100 in 1997. Have your wages/income gone up 44% since then? My retirement certainly hasn't! Supposedly insignificant inflation in the range of 1% to 4% when compounded over 15 years becomes significant.

Reloading supplies and anything gun related seems to have gone up more than 44% (??).

LDBennett