The Firearms Forum banner

Powder/Primers now kept behind the counter?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  312shooter 
#1 ·
I went in to my local sportmans warehouse and they had removed all of their powders and primers from the floor. I asked a salesman and he said that they put them in the back room at the request of the local fire chief.

Anyone else seen this happen?

#3 ·
My gunshop also did this...
I was at Cabellas last week and all their primers are behind the gun counter. It was a royal PIA to have to stand and wait for the gun sales men to get to you. They weren't in any hurry either with several people waiting. One guy was practically giving shooting lessons to two customers looking at a 1911. I wasn't impressed.

#6 ·
I went in to my local sportmans warehouse and they had removed all of their powders and primers from the floor. I asked a salesman and he said that they put them in the back room at the request of the local fire chief.

Anyone else seen this happen?
pawn shops have em behind counter.. probably a theft issue.

gander has powder in a cabnet.. but unlocked.. and primers on the shelf.. not that they have any.. :)

#7 ·
My LGS has all powder and primers out in the middle of the main room on shelving. Not sure why putting them behind a counter makes them suddenly safer?

I guess it keeps people from messing with em, some folks like to open things. I certainly don't want to buy a brick of primers that's been ripped or abused...

I especially hate it when ammo is put behind the counter; how the hell am I supposed to browse when I can't even read what caliber it is, much less what flavor of bullet...

#9 ·
and more annoying is when you know more about the product than the seller.

I shoot lots of weird stuff.

458 winmag / lott, 416 rigby 375 H&H and other odd stuff... obsolete calibers..

and most of the time you have to explain the designation to them several times before getting anything other than a blank look

#10 ·
I was at a gunshop in Tacoma years ago and there was a little chickie working the counter. I had just bought my .458 win mag rifle and asked if they had any ammo so that I could price it.

After looking (starting at the .22 caliber stuff all the way to the left) she deducted that they did not have any and then asked me: "We've got 444 ammo, is that close enough?"

Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me...

#15 ·
I doubt many folks who would be intersted in powder would be dumb enough to open a canister in a gun shop. But then again, half of the US also voted for Obama, so who knows? I would bet that Obama voters are rare occurances in gun shops though. (I hope)

It's not really a big deal IMO, if you know primers, you know what you want and just ask for it. there's really not that many options in reality. 5 sizes, only a handful of flavors.

#16 ·
Got more primers & powder than my great grandkids will ever use, no joke went over board 2 years back and should have spent more on brass & bullets. Couldn't imagine Sportsmans in Fairbanks putting all that powder & primers they usually have on shelves somewheres else.

Ya know, I was reading ATF was taking comments (you know the codewords for upcoming regulations) until Dec 31st concerning many types of hunting bullets (non FMJ) that are able to penetrate vests. I guess by their proposed determination, any bullet going over 1700 falls in this category; that's all the bullets I use way I see things. Then they have a special hatred for the solid & I guess they are bonded bullets and anything on that order. So first they don't want us using lead for the environment & now, they don't want us using copper, or anything else I guess. Maybe this sounds like fear mongering, but who knows. My gun shop guy claims big changes with the new year. Time to buy a few new lowers and order more bullets before they are outlawed.

What have you all heard about this?

#18 ·
Well if you are in LV, the firechief went through stores such as Bass Pro and Sportsmans and pushed some breech of local fire code on these retailers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.