The Firearms Forum banner

Powder question for X-treme bullets

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SteveM 
#1 ·
I just ordered some X-treme .357 dia 158g RNFP bullets and using their comment... "Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities" as a guideline and only having the Hornady 9th edition loading manual, I found the 158g FP XTP bullet to be closest match. Using the table on page 792 and Accurate #9 powder which I have, it would appear that the loads would range from 9.7g to 11.g so I plan on loading the 9.7g charge and try a dozen rounds.

I only have Accurate #7 and #9 pistol powders on hand so my options are limited, either load or wait for other powder!

I have a similar dilemma with the S&W 40 bullets but on page 817 there is a table with a closer match to the 180g RNFP X-treme bullets I purchased. Using Accurate #7 powder it looks I have a range between 850fps and 950fps and I would likely start loading 7.2g and see how they work.

So.........What say the experienced folks to these choices?

#3 ·
Not sure I fully understand what your question is here... If you're worried that a higher charge would be detrimental to the projectile, I don't think you need to worry. As I said in another of your posts, Xtreme Bullets can reach magnum velocities. When it comes to 158gr. 357mag, I use H110, which can produce higher velocities than AA#9 and I have pushed it near max and had no issues. If you can't find a recipe for a "jacketed" bullet, you can use the XTP info. "XTP" is Hornady's coined term for their jacketed bullet. For what it's worth, so you have another resource on the matter, the Lyman 49th Edition for a 158gr. jacketed bullet using AA#9 has a starting weight of 13.4 and a max of 14.9, which seem quite far off from what your book is telling you. Accurate's website (http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf ) says a start of 12.4 to 13.8, specifically for the XTP of 158gr.

If I had to guess, I'm thinking you're looking at the load data for AA#7 when you were speaking of AA#9. For AA#7 with 158gr., it's a start of 10.2 with a max of 11.5. And Accurate's site said 9.5-10.5. These weights are much closer to what you said (9.7-11). Be careful with that and reading the wrong charges.

#6 ·
If I had to guess, I'm thinking you're looking at the load data for AA#7 when you were speaking of AA#9. For AA#7 with 158gr., it's a start of 10.2 with a max of 11.5. And Accurate's site said 9.5-10.5. These weights are much closer to what you said (9.7-11). Be careful with that and reading the wrong charges.
Below is a shot of the table referenced. Interesting how the loads differ from source to source. I mentioned 9.7g to 11g because I have no interest in loading anything in the red columns. Hopefully the 9.7g load will have enough power to poke some holes in targets.

It sounds like the Accurate #9 will work with these bullets so I'm good.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

#4 ·
I'm sure you caught this, but just in case some one else reads and has forgotten the rest of that statement....
-
Just to add a bit to your reloading parameters (mid way to: "can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead veloc,"
There are limits on the higher end regarding velocity and type of crimp.
-
http://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm
Load Info
Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.

Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.

All of our Hard Cast Lead Bullets are approximately 18 on Brinell, our Cowboy lead bullets are approximately 15 on Brinell.

#5 ·
I have had great results using Hornady 180gr XTP load data from 180gr RNFP plated bullets in .40 S&W. You probably won't exceed the 1200FPS max for these bullets in .40S&W, especially not if your barrel is less than 4".

For my .357 magnum loads I've found that only the low end data keeps me under 1200FPS so I tend to use the plated for 38 spl loads and jacketed for the 357 magnum. Again, I have found Hornady XTP load data an excellent place to start.

Whatever you do don't wait for another pistol power to try, you may not live that long.

#7 ·
This is why they say to own at least two manuals so you can find an average between the conflicting data. I like the Lyman and the Lee manuals because they don't make bullets and they aren't biased towards any one specific bullet. If ever I question load data from my manuals, I get my definitive answer from the powder manufacturers website and consider their data the TRUE starting and max.

#8 ·
I personally always used H-110 in mine. I have compared your #9 manual to my #8 and there is no difference in the load data. I still say that if you start where you said you were then you will be good to go! I looked at my Lyman #49 and its starting load is about 2 grains more than the Hornady.

It is good to have two manuals to look at, it is better to have three or four. If you only have one, then you look at what you have and make your loads up using that one.

#9 ·
Lee doesn't generate the data they publish, they simply republish it. You don't know when or where it comes from or what the barrel length was. I have found some good loadings in the Lee manual and I have had some 357 Magnum loads come out at half the expected velocity. Lyman is probably a better choice as your second manual.

As another data point for you, Laser-Cast load data is 11.0gr to 12.2gr of AA9 and a OAL of 1.57" for their 158gr RNFP hard cast lead bullets. Expected velocity is 1094 to 1215FPS from a 6" S&W M-686.

How about that Lyman data? For a 158gr JHP use 13.4gr to 14.9gr of AA9 for a velocity of 1158 to 1357FPS from a 4" barrel. For a 160gr lead cast use 12.3gr to 13.7gr of AA9 for a velocity of 1024 to 1350FPS from a 4" barrel. They used an OAL of 1.59" for both.

Based on all of this I'd start at the Hornady low end of 9.7gr but wouldn't be afraid to use or surpass 11gr if a greater velocity was desired.

#10 ·
Let us not forget load data from Accurate: http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf

The data for Accurate #9 in 357 Magnum is on page 10. Their data for the 158gr Laser-Cast SWC is nearly the same as the data I quoted from Laser-Cast. They seem to favor a longer OAL with a slightly heaver powder charge to keep density up. Their data for the Hornady 158gr XTP or more in line with Lyman's 160gr lead data, they start where Hornady ends.

As they say, the man with one watch always knows what time it is while the man with two watches is never sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.