Powder question

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  railroadman 
G
#1 ·
BlackGun
V.I.P. Member
(9/28/01 5:52:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Powder question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys! you will learn that I haven't reloaded in 20+ years, so I'm gonna have a 1000 questions till I get my feet wet. So here is another. There is no one local to buy powder and primers from. I called a gunshop about 25 miles from here and he had a can of Unique for the 45 ACP that you guys suggested I use. He wanted $15.00 for a 1 lb can. and $15.00 a 1000 for larger pistol primers. What is the going rate on powdwe and primers. He said the primers were blue dot. Would someone tells me what this means and if the price is within the right price range. Or shoud I wait and try and find a petter price at the gunshow this week end before I buy from him.
Thanks guys!
rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
BlackGUN

tuckerd1
V.I.P. Member
(9/28/01 6:14:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Powder question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve, $14-15/lb and $14-15/1000 primers is about the going rate at the gunshows around here in Ga/Ala. Gunshops here, Those that carry reloading components, Want $25-28/lb powder and 1000 primers. I buy in bulk from the gunshows. Can't afford mail order because of the Haz Mat fees. I use CCI and Federal primers.

BTW, Win 231 is a very clean fast burning powder that works good in the 45 acp. I also use Bullseye, though it is dirtier. I have a Kimber that shoots the Bullseye loads I make better than the 231 loads. Just depends on the pistol and the recipe.

I am starting to load some with Power Pistol for 45 Super, but don't have any feedback for you yet.

BlackGun
V.I.P. Member
(9/28/01 6:35:08 pm)
Don
It was suggested that i use 6 Gr. of eunique with a 230 Gr. ball ammo useing a 18 1/2 lb. wolf spring in the 45. Before I buy the eunique. do you have a better suggestion? Wat did he mean when he said they were blue dot? What should I do?

This is what Doc. suggested, so that's whay I was looking for unique powder

"My all-time favorite general purpose load for the 230gr FMJ is 6.0 grains of Unique with standard CCI pistol primers.

5.0 grains of WW-231 works well too and probably flows easier through automatic powder measures."

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 9/28/01 7:38:36 pm

tuckerd1
V.I.P. Member
(9/28/01 8:30:01 pm)
I am not familiar with a primer named Blue Dot. There is a powder named Bludot though. Maybe he got to talking about Blue Dot powder??

Alliant recommends 6.0gr of Unique for 230 ball. Also 5.0gr Bullseye or 8.5gr Blue dot for the same bullet. I don't have any data on 231 for this bullet. Only used it with 200gr LSWC.

For more info on Alliant powder go to recipes.alliantpowder.com/

BTW, Shooter45 uses Win 231 alot in his loads. He can provide more info on that powder. I'm new at 231.

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(9/29/01 9:51:12 am)
years ago when I had my AMT Longslide SR4756 with a 200 gr lead SWC worked the best for me

kdubaz
(9/29/01 5:29:12 pm)
Hodgdon has some combination shotgun/pistol powders available now that are supposed to be really clean burning (Tightwad, Titegroup, etc). I've got so much Unique and Bullseye, 2400 and some Accurate Arms stuff to shoot up, don't know when I'll get around to the Hodgdon powders. They sound intriquing, tho.

Never heard of "Blue Dot", except as a shotgun powder. Stay with W-W, CCI or Federal standard large pistol primers and you'll be ok.
Keep below the ridgeline!

Xracer
(9/29/01 5:53:33 pm)
6.0 Unique with a 230 gr. RN bullet & CCI Large Pistol primer is equivalent to a "Factory Load" or "Military Ball".

For plinking or paper punching, I'd recommend a 200 gr. SWC with 3.5 gr. of Bullseye & CCI Large Pistol primers.

BlackGun
V.I.P. Member
(9/29/01 6:12:33 pm)
wELL i JUST GOT BACK FROM THE GUN SHOP AND THE BLUE DOT WAS POWDER NOT PRIMERS. the primers were high $25.00 a 1000 and they are Remingtom No. 2 1/2 large postol primers. Is this good or bad. He told me dure to HASMAT, Stuff around here is hard to find. Iwas I over charged for the primers.
BlackGUN

kdubaz
(9/30/01 10:29:36 pm)
Paying $25.00/1000 for primers (either pistol or rifle) is BAD!!!
Keep below the ridgeline!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.