powder question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sota, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Sota

Sota New Member

Gentlemen,
    Pardon my ignorance. I'm a newbie to reloading. I will be loading 223, 22-250, and 308. the bullet weights i am thinking of are 69, 75 for 223, 175 for the 308, and maybe 50 for the 22-250.
    What i am wondering about is... how does one know which powder to start with? I'd rather not buy lb after lb trying to find out what works.Come to think of it... how do you choose which primer also?

Thanks in advance,
    SOTA
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

In your .223 what make, model and barrel twist. If you have a 1:12 or 1:14 twist, 55 grain and smaller bullets will work best. If you have a 1:9 twist barrel than the 69-75 grain bullets will work good.

Again for the .223 Varget works great in the 69-75 bullets and H335 and Benchmark have worked great for me in the 55 grain and smaller bullets.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    In your reloading manual they will list several different powders for any load you can think of. Usually at the top of the page they explain about the cartridge you want to reload, and recomend a load for that caliber. They will usually include what primer to use, as well as the powder, bullet, and brass.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Sota:

If you just want ammo that goes "bang" then any listed powder in the reloading manual will do the job. But you must start at the starting load and work the load up if you wish to maximize the velocity. Along the way you will probably find a combination that shoots more accurately than the others. For that powder that may be the load to use. Or you may think you need max velocity. But if you see any signs of excessive pressure then your load development has to stop there and the powder charge reduced.

If you can not get the result you want from that powder then you have to do it all over again with another choice of powders. Some reloaders spend every waking hour reloading and testing to find the perfect load for their gun and guess what. That load will rarely if ever be the same one his buddy finds for his gun even though his gun is the exact same make and model. It is the nature of guns!

The best thing to do is follow the recipes in the reloading manual to select the primer and the seating depth of the bullet to start with. Both of those are additional variable to change and test with. As you can see this can go on forever, if you wish.

While I am not normally satisfied with ammo that just goes bang for most of my guns I minimize the testing and usually try no more than a couple of powders that are my standards (those that I always stock, that work best in my Dillon, and have been found in the past to be more universal).

For pistols I try to use a load that includes the old favorite, Winchester 231 (which is the same exact powder as Hodgdon HP38 with just a different label on the can). This is a fast burning powder that works in almost everything, handgun wise. If I want a slow powder for heavy Magnum loads then I go to one of the following, which ever I have plenty of: 2400, AA#9, W296, H110.

I also often find the guiding hand in the intro section of the reloading manual for a particular cartridge to be helpful as a starting point for powder selection.

LDBennett
  5. Sota

Sota New Member

rcairflr,
    Sorry, the 223 is a 1/9 twist mike rock barreled rem 700, the 308 is a mostly stock"except for trigger" rem 700 pss, the 22-250 is a stock never fired rem 700 vs.
    The 223 shoots factory fed gm well. i have only shot the 69 grainers so far. The 308 loves the 168s but i'd like to try the 175s. See how they work. I don't see it being much different it is only 13 grain difference.