Powder reservoir

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by elkslayer4x5, Aug 7, 2012.

1. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 New Member

I see quite a few powder measure reservoirs that are etched and discolored by the powder being left in the reservoir. Is there any way to 'clear' them up again? Maybe by buffing or polishing them with a polishing compound or jeweler's rouge?
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, elkslayer;

You've found a great place to ask questions and get good answers. Lots of people here with lots of experience.

I have a couple of plastic powder measures, but have never had that problem...maybe because I haven't left the powder in them. My loading bench location doesn't allow it...it's in the kitchen so I have to pack everything up when I'm finished. :D

What are you reloading? What powder are you using that spoils the reservoir?

My opinion: they are acrylic/plastic and will be difficult to clean up.

I expect someone else will be along with some better advice.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum elkslayer. I have a couple that are getting kind of dark, and I never leave powder in them. I have not tried to clean them up so I don't know how to answer your question.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

This is something that occurs due to the chemical reaction between the plastic and makeup of the propellant. Prevention is the best medicine; dump any unused powder immediatley. One overnighter with Bullseye and it will be thoroughly etched. The best solution is just buying new if it really gets bad.
  5. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 New Member

It has'nt happened to me ( as yet ) but to others who say that is what happened to them. Seen a lot of powder measures for sale on ebay with that condition. Checked earlier today in various catalogs ( Redding, RCBS, and Hornady ) and only Redding lists a replacement reservoir, although I'm sure that others sell them. Another question; would the Redding replacement reservoir fit other makers measures? The Redding has a 2 1/8" OD.
    Currently I load the following;
    .204 Ruger
    .223 Rem
    .25-06 Rem
    .270 Win
    .30-30WCF
    .30-06 Sprg
    .338 Win Mag
    .357 Mag
    12 and 20 gauge shotshells. Looking to add a few more, am real interested in the .17 Hornady Hornet, Want a .300 Short mag, used to have a .22 Hornet, and wish I still had it, always been interested in the 7-30 Waters, .280, would like a .219 Zipper and the list could go on. You know how it is with a gun nut..:D
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My lyman55 is plum black with residue.. I dont bother with cleaning it.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i never leave powder in mine either.

at the end of a session I dump the powder back into the can.. clean her out real good make sure no grains stay inthe rotating chamber.. give her a lil wipe out with a paper towel, and then remove her from my bench and stick back on the shelf. keeps the bench clean unles si'm doing bulk loading.. when working up shots I throw the powder manually one at a time with a scale since I'd be doing a different load ever 5 rounds..e tc..

i think that's the key.. not leaving powder in it.

I don't leave powder in it for even a day. only for the actual time I'm throwing charges.. etc.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I leave powder in mine and don't care if it stays there for a day or so. I have always done that and have never had powder go bad. As far as the darkness on the plastic, it doesn't bother me.
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

florida is high humidity. even though my bench is in a climate controlled room.. I figure no chances. I even keep my sealed 1# jugs in ziplock bags. I choose 1# jugs so I don't have more than that open at any one time.. etc. probably WAY overkill.. but.. :)
  10. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Welcome to the forum
  11. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 New Member

The etching is from the solvents used in powder production. Flake powders seem to be the worst offenders with tubular are a distant second. Sphericals don't seem to be a problem.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont leave powder in mine usually. its just black because i shoot.. ALOT.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Powder measures do get etched by the powder solvents and do get blackened inside the reservoir. Most of the black is graphite which is one of the deterrents used to control the burning and/or to reduce static electricity during manufacture. The black coating in the measure is good as it reduces the static buildup in the measure (graphite is a conductor of electricity) and makes the delivery of measured charges more uniform in dry climates. Static electricity and powder are a lethal mix, so much so that in my dry desert climate I reload standing or sitting on a large anti-static mat that is electrically connected to ground. In my area a walk across the room in synthetic material socks can produce an inch long spark when you then attempt to turn on/off a house light (grounded box).

My measure never stands overnight with powder in it and it is slightly blackened from its diet of mostly ball powders. That is no bother to me.

LDBennett
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

All of the powder reservoirs are not made from the same material either.
    Even plastic has different compositions.
    My Dillon are polycarbonate, and there is always powder in them,
    and no discoloration as of yet.
    You would probably never know what yours are made of exactly, but one thing
    you might try is the headlight lens cleaner, but make sure you clean ALL of
    the residue out before you add powder [warm soapy water] so you don't
    have any 'chemical' reaction.
    Personally, I would ignore the discoloration, it is most likely to your benefit.
  15. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 New Member

I recently bought a two Herter's Model 45 powder measures both with matching stands. Both the measures and stands showed years of use and neglect.The first one was a M45P, a pistol measure, which throws approximatly 0--33g of H110, and looked like this;
    [​IMG]

The second measure was a M45, a rifle measure, which throws approximatly 0-70 g of H 4895, and looked like this;
    [​IMG]
    The second measure came with two reserviors so I was able to replace the metal reservior on the 45P with an original reservior.Wanting to restore them, I removed the moving parts, the measure cylinders, caliberated rods and various nuts and powder spouts, and polished them. Then I used paint stripper to clean off the old paint and got all of parts down to bare metal. I could'nt find the Kennedy Tool Box Wrinkle paint lopcally, and decided to use black and green Rust-oleum "Hammered"spray paint. Shot them with three coats, and here's how they look now.
    [​IMG]
    Because I plan on using differnt powders in them,and need to dump powders, I mounted them using long screws through a wooden base, and attach them using wingnuts and washers. I mounted them facing oppisite sides of the base for two reasons, 1. To balance the weight, and 2. So that each measure could be turned to the working side of the bench. When in use I secure the base to my bench using a quick ratcheting bar clamp.
    [​IMG]
    Bye the way, I also made the gun stocks in the background, the lighter ones are Oregon Golden Myrtle one with Walnut accents, and the others are California Redwood Burl, one with Myrtle accents. :D