powder scale question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

This might sound like a dumb question but ill ask anyway.I have the lee perfect powder scale.I understand how to adjust the scale to the grains you want,for example I load 45 acp at 4.5 grains.Do you have to account for the weight of the tray you put your powder in or is that what they mean by its already calibrated?I use the powder hopper with the micrometer built in,and I double check with the scale.Im sure youll laugh at this one I just want to make sure.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Ryan, if you zero the scale with the pan in place, its already accounted for. Just set it to the grains you want and go.
  3. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Ryan
    Never a silly question about loading.

This is one of the best places you can find for answers and no one laughs.

What Crawdaddy said.

UF
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Also the marks on the powder scale almost never match the charge weight youre throwing. I believe the LEE measure is graduated in CC and the scale measures in Grains.

My Lyman 55 is graduated in Grains by volume, not weight.

Make sure you zero the scale with the pan in place.

Its always best to double check the measure with a good accurate scale. I do prefer beam scales over electronic scales. and get a check weight of known accurate weight. I have a couple bullets I cast of lead that I use for check weights after I zero the scale. SInce i have more than 1 scale I simple weighed the cast bullet on all 3 (2 beams and a digital) and it weighed the same on all 3.. 232 gr (cast 230 gr RN). so I wrote the weight on the bottom with a sharpie and use it as a check weight.
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

What they said, with the empty pan hanging from the end of the beam and the ball in the 0 slot, you adjust the position of the knurled round 'nut' on its threaded rod to zero the scale. Then pour the powder into the pan, pan goes on the end of the beam and you move the ball or slider to determine the grains thrown.

Once I have verified by weighing that my dispenser is throwing consistent charges, I maybe double check every 10th or 20th charge. I do not weigh each one. With Win 231/HP-38 I find my Lee dispensers to be accurate and consistent.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

What the others have said.

put the pan on the scale (digital or beam) zero and start throwing powder.

I trickle mine for my rifle loads. For my pistol loads it is slightly different as I use a dillon 550b for my 45acp.

Before that. I would dial my measure in to the weight I want then I would check every 5 th round loaded.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Ryan, something just occurred to me that I didnt tell you in my reply this morning. I have this exact scale, she was my first, the only issue you might find is that there is a half slot to the right of where the zero slot is that the ball will sit on when youre trying to zero, make sure the ball sits down in that slot. I'll also agree with JLA that you'll want at least one other scale for verifications sake, nothin like peace of mind.
  8. mikld

mikld Active Member

I have a Lee scale along with a Lyman/Ohaus and RCBS 5-10. My Lee is every bit as accurate as either of the other two, with the major difference being the lockable vernier poise vs poise-in-groove type. I have bumped the small poise on my Lynan/Ohaus scale when replacing the pan and changed the charge weight (One time I had to dump and reweigh 30, .44 Magnum charges because I bumped the poise and did not know where the heavy loads started). Some folks have great difficulty learning how to use the vernier poise, and wind up getting another scale, but I've never found anything wrong with the Lee. And as answered above, on a level surface, zero the scale with the pan in place (all beam scales).
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Certain folks might say that the problem with the lee scale is the fact that it says LEE on it.. ;)

Not me. I love the lee scale.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Beam scales don't have electronic bits or to go off, or batteries to go dead, so in that way are more reliable. Just purely mechanical, and if something starts to go wrong it shouldn't be too hard to notice and fix.

That said, I only have two sets of electronic scales. :eek:
    I work in a lab and have access to certified check weights so have calibrated my scales to those check weights, and if I have a serious question about performance I can check and calibrate with those.

I have also made (out of paperclips or short solid wire segments) some check weights that are in the weight region I will be using (4.0 grains, 8.6 grains, and 26 grains). I use the check weights each time I start a loading session. If the scales don't weigh just right I re-check, change batteries, etc. If during a loading session I start to question the scales, out come the check weights. I keep them stored in a small box or ziplock bag with the weights written in sharpie on the containers. Maybe everyone does that already? :confused: :)

Typically, for rifle I weigh every powder charge (I only reload 20-50 at a time). For pistol caliber I weigh one every in 5 or 10 rounds.
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have an Ohus 1010 and a super nice Pact BBK II the Pact last all of a year before going Belly up. Still pissed about this one. Beam scale for me all the way.
  12. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

thanks guys! I re-adjusted the scale and we should be in good shape now.I have a powder manual from hoodgdan and it says a 230 gr fmj should be 4.8 gr ,my die chart gives 4.1 to 4.7 wich one is right? owe by the way its a 45 acp .
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto Ryan.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

What powder you using?

By the charge range Im gonna guess titegroup. If so 4.8 is MAX for a 230 grainer in the .45ACP. I have excellent results with 4.5 under a 230.
  15. ryan42

ryan42 New Member