Powder Shelf Life?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Telcotech, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Good day.... wanted to ask this ? to experianced reloader's on here. This is a great forum for sure......much to be learned in its content. I have several containers of pistol powder;Bullseye, Unique, WW296, Hodgdon 110, that were piurchased as far back as 1970, been kept in their original containers, and in a cool, dry enviroment. I reloaded 100 rnds of .38 SPL last wkend using new primers, 4.5 grn's of Bullseye, 158 grn. SWC, and they all fired and functioned exc. The Bullseye was purchased in 1977. Does smokeless powder have a really long shelf life if stored properly? Or does it need to be diposed of?
    Thanks for all reply's...;)
  2. army mp

army mp Member

Smokeless powder will be OK for years, if stored properly. Guys had trouble with the stuff in the old card board containers and damp basements. The newer plastic containers if sealed will last a long time. The best way is open the container and smell the powder, it will have a very strong smell if going bad. But with any old powder only load a few rounds to test.
  3. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

OOOPS!!!!! after reading my thread....I double checked what I had wrote down as my load during lunch.....it was 3.8 grn's Bullseye behind a 158 grn SWC not 4.5 grns ...... boy...can't remember squat anymore...
    But any way....thanks for the reply!!
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

if stored properly powder and current primers (good chance they may change the formula) will outlive you. happy shooting;)