Powder spillage with RCBS Pro 2000

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by neilkahn, Dec 19, 2011.

1. neilkahn

neilkahn New Member

When reloading small caliber handgun cartridges (.380/9MM) the indexing of the shell plate causes powder to spill out as the shells move to the last two stations after they are charged. Anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?
  2. smlranger

smlranger New Member

When I load 9mm on my Hornady LNL AP press, I get some powder burping out on the shell plate on the downstroke of the case-activated measure. This doesn't happen with every case but maybe every 8 or 10 rounds. I try to be as smooth as I can using the press. Some of this may be due to the fact that I am using AA#2 to load 9mm and it is a very fine ball powder.

I've not had any problems when loading 45 with Bullseye or AA#2 or loading 40 with HS-6. I think it is the combination of a small case and the fine powder.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

neilkahn:

When I move the non-auto indexing table of my Dillon RL550B too fast and abruptly I too get powder jumping out of the nearly full case. I have to be careful in advancing the table.

In your situation with auto indexing you don't have that choice but you can rest your finger on the table to dampen any quick movement of the table during the auto indexing.

LDBennett
  4. neilkahn

neilkahn New Member

Well, at least I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I do try and be careful and make the stroke as smooth as possible but there still is quite a bit of powder on the press and table after I load a 100 rounds. This was never an issue with a single stage press and I just starting loading with the progressive. I guess I'll just have to accept the spillage as par for the course.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    There is a brush on my bench that I use for sweeping up spilled powder. I think we all live with it to some degree.