powder storage

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sherrer1*, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* New Member

I live in Selma Alabama. The humidity is pretty bad during the summer. My question is I have been storing my powder inside the house in my closet. I have a shop outside the house joined on to my carport where I reload and doesnt have a/c or heat, would it be bad to store my powder in my shop.
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I would try to keep it as cool and dry as possible. You could store it in your shop space if you could keep the temp down and store it with some kind of dehumidifier. It sounds to me thought that the closet is a better place with your climate.
  3. Waldog

Waldog Member

Inside the house in a wood box is a better choice.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I store my powder in my garage. My garage is insulated pretty good. The hottest it gets is about 80 degrees but I keep the powder low. Some of my powder is 15+ years old and it is just fine. My humidity is not real high here.
  5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

In the SE, keep it inside to ensure quality, unless you only have small quantities that you use rapidly.