Powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by willieb1989, Feb 12, 2010.

1. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

How much powder does everyone usally keep on hand. And do you find it easyer and cheaper to buy online or at a sports store. Just spilled half my container. not cool.
  2. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

Depends on how much reloading you plan to do etc.
    I always pick my powder up in person (primers too). You will pay an additional hazmat charge if you have it sent to you.
  3. army mp

army mp Member

. To order on-line you are going to need a pretty good size order. It takes a lot to cover the $25.00 Hazmat. And then the shipping. I have been waiting 8 months on my order from Mid-South shooter. I’m in SW PA. I can usually find powder. Primers are a different story. Most places here are still doing that Rationing BS.
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i support local business. i always buy at the store. Who knows there may be a primer or powder shortage and who do you turn to. During this years shortage i was able to find everything locally. I am happy to buy my products locally for a couple of extra bucks .... it comes back to you.
  5. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

yeah i got mine from local gun shop. I know hazmat fee is retarted. thanks.
  6. army mp

army mp Member

That’s great if the local guy has it. I would Buy 3 to 4 thousand primers at a time from the local guy. Then Obammanation. And primers dried up. The local guys would only sell 100 at a time. If they had them at all. And did you notice the on-line auctions. A $26.00 box of CCIs going for $90.00. some mark up. Wonder who was doing that. I would bet one or two of the small guys got in on the price gouging.
  7. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Sweep it up....DO NOT vacuum!
  8. medalguy

medalguy Member

I have over 120 pounds of powder but I reload a lot. I buy online because the prices are a lot better, and I buy in bulk. Frequently I will split an order with one of my local buddies to really cut down the hazmat charge. When you order 80 pounds of powder at one time, the per pound charge is nothing. Same with 30,000 primers. We may have to wait a few months to get them but we don't let our stocks get so low we can't wait a little bit. Compared to local shop prices there's just no comparison.

Now for someone who loads a few hundred round a month it's a different story. The local shops are the only reasonable way to go, but you're at their mercy as far as pricing. I never buy any reloading supplies at gun shows because the sellers there seem to be trying to see just how high they can raise their prices before we decide to tar and feather them! :eek:
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like to keep a library. Since there are always new and better things coming out and plus i load for like 17 different calibers and about 25 different firearms. the combinations can be endless...

Attached Files:

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

holy crap, ive been lookin for that wrench!!!
  11. dammitman

dammitman Member

i keep 7 to 10 pounds of the few types i need. you will find after a while that you dont need so many types, find your loads and stick to them.
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I buy powder whenever I see it at Bass ProShop or wherever. I keep a list of the different powders I could use with whatever I load and get it when or wherever I can. I like to be at least 2-3 lbs. ahead of the game.
  13. TheGunClinger

Jla... You seem to be ahead of the game. Good collection.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

benefits of working for a gunshop that has a reloading section... Everytime i was in there id grab a new can i didnt have yet. The cans you see more than one of are the ones i have found loads for. IMR 4895 and sierra 53 gr matchkings print 1/2 inch or better from my AR-15. Varget in just about every medium rifle cartridge i own shoots better than i need it too. That stuff is solid gold;) Almost out of 231 but have plenty of HP38 so im in pretty good shape... I guess:D
  15. TheGunClinger

I have one can of HP 38. I have been hearing on this forum that it is a good all around powder. I load .38, .357, .45, .44, and 50 AE which I use H-110. There is so much different powders around that works with so many calibers that I have a hard time consolidating. I wish there was a do-all powder but that aint going to happen, but it would be cool to be able to have maybe 2-3or 4 powders to stock up.
  16. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    POWDER IS LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE,I BUY WHEN I HAVE EXTRA MONEY TO SPEND,ITS ALWAYS CHEAPER NOW THAN LATER.I PROBABLY HAVE FORTY OR FIFTY POUNDS OF SMOKELESS AND 10 POUNDS OF 777 OLD SEMPERFI
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

HP38 and W231 are the same powder, as is H414 and W760, H110 and W296, andHS-6 ang W540. W540 is a discontinued powder so unless you run across some old powder at a garage sale you wont have to worry about it.
  18. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I've got as much as I can find and afford sitting upstairs. Same with primers, but they are a lot harder to find.