Powders vs Airport security....

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 312shooter, Aug 13, 2008.

1. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this..... Airport security across the country have random tests for the presence of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin (the key to all of our reloading fun) in the form of Ion detectors and or "swabs". I will be going on vacation soon and wondered about it, and how much trouble would arise if that was detected due to reloading. Has anyone a story or maybe some knowledge they could share? I sure don't want to be associated with anything of that nature.
  2. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter New Member

Been a while since I've been thru an airport.

Here's what I would suggest.

Carry your concealed weapons permit with you in case there is any question.

And also call your airline, they will know any rules.

As long as you are open and asking, they won't think anything of it.

Not likely some terrorists will be calling up and asking what will happen
    if they detect suspect material on them :D
  3. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

speaking from experience, i'm not TSA (Those Stupid A-holes), but i'd say carry a different bag, or notify the airline at check-in/ticketing. i'd also notify TSA pryor to screening about the bag if it may have at one time contained anything relating to firearms. their proceedure is to screen it first (to detect suspicious mass/material), and if need be, they'll use the sniffer (little white pad), so as long as you don't have a quantity of anything in your carry-on, you should be fine...but i wouldn't quote me on all this

NOTE: you must declare all firearms related objects/material at the check-in/ticketing, and it MUST be transported in a hard-lined and lockable case/box or it will be confiscated and you will talk to county police and possibly the feds too.