The Firearms Forum banner

Power Pistol Powder

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  howlnmad 
#1 ·
New to PP, what load should I start at? I have tested three different loads and all went well but just was wondering what makes sense to at least begin to narrow down . I did try 5.,5.5,and 6.0 gns. i forgot this is for 9 mm.

#2 ·
You already did start :confused:.
What are you looking for exactly? Rounds that function or highly accurate ammo?
What bullet weight are you using?
Alliant has data on their website. Find your bullet weight and powder and reduce their listed charge by 10%.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1
You don't want to take 1/2gr jumps when loading for pistols. Usually no more than .1-.2 increments since the minimum to maximum usually isn't such a big gap. For instance, alliant lists a max charge of 6.7gr of power pistol in 9mm with a 115gr bullet. Reduce that by 10% and you get a minimum charge of 6.1gr. So, in that instance a .1 to no more than .2gr incremint should get you where you want to be safely.

#3 ·
I hear you. I was on Alliant's site already to see what was there, but wanted to see what worked for other guys. I'm loading 124gr.I wasn't in any danger according to the book. I've seen on other sites the numbers I was using. Thanks for your concern and ideas.

#4 · (Edited)
Of course it depends on which 124 gr. bullets you are using, but I just worked up some loads using Berry's plated bullets, 124 gr. RN, and I started at 5.4 gr. and worked up to 5.7 gr. As usual, do not follow my recipe without working it up from low to high and then safety checking each load. If our bullets are not the same, my recipe may not work well for you at all, and could pose a safety issue. (Standard disclaimer...)

For me, in my gun, the 5.5 gr. loads seemed to have the best accuracy at 14 yards (42 feet).

EDIT: The above numbers are referring to Alliant Power Pistol powder.

#8 ·
Of course it depends on which 124 gr. bullets you are using, but I just worked up some loads using Berry's plated bullets, 124 gr. RN, and I started at 5.4 gr. and worked up to 5.7 gr. As usual, do not follow my recipe without working it up from low to high and then safety checking each load. If our bullets are not the same, my recipe may not work well for you at all, and could pose a safety issue. (Standard disclaimer...)

For me, in my gun, the 5.5 gr. loads seemed to have the best accuracy at 14 yards (42 feet).
Same bullet, I was leaning towards that recipe.

#12 ·
Couldn't find Unique that I have been using. That's why I switched. Heard good things about PP.Thanks all for the advice/suggestions, etc. I have a better Idea on which direction I will go. Sometimes practical experience is better than books. not that the manufacturer is wrong, I like hands on.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the input. I will be putting the info I have gotten to work soon.Need to make some room in my inventory to try some of these loads. I think with all the responces I will start at 5.5 and work from there. All the loads that I did try back a few weeks ago cycled just fine, even the 5.0. But It seems a little low. I like to see what the rest of the world has found along with the data in books. Practical experience is sometimes more revealing. I at least add it to the data.

#15 ·
I would urge caution when using the recipes Alliant lists on their site for using Power Pistol in 9mm. I loaded a batch with their specs and ended up with rounds flying over 1300fps which is way too hot for a 124gr. Without measuring chamber pressure I would say they were at least +P if not +P+.

I just finished a ranged batch from 5.8gr - 6.0gr for the same bullet. Will post the chrono speeds when I get back from the range next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.