PPK or ???

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

seb1899
    (4/10/02 2:00:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All PPK or ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would really like to have a Walther Pocket Pistol but have not yet saved the required $ for a good quality used .32ACP.

I have been looking at clones and was wondering if the KBI or CZ 70 or Bersa or FEg's might be a viable alternative. Not withstanding the calibre difference - Bersa .380 vs .32 how would these guns rank re functionality and durability. I realize that .32 is not a good "carry" calibre but all I want is a nice shooter in the PPK design.

Does anyone have first hand ownership experience?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/10/02 2:07:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: PPK or ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Get a Makarov.....how come everyone bypass`s these, your gonna be mad when their gone and you didn`t get one. LTS
    T.F.F.

seb1899
    (4/10/02 3:26:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del PPK or ???
    Thanks LikeToShoot.

I have read (heard) these pistols have an alloy (pot metal?) frame. Is the frame as good a quality as say a Ruger or will it self destruct after X# of rounds are put through it?

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/10/02 5:33:29 pm)
    If you can find one, try a Feg PA-63 in .380 caliber. Looks a lot like the PPK, even disassembles like one, but has bigger grip swell to the rear. Excellent shooter very accurate.

I've got mine and very happy with it.

Gunguy

bg
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/12/02 12:24:51 am)
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380.I had a couple parts break but one
    was my fault.The other the mfg's.They have a lifetime warrenty.The double action is lousy.The pull is very heavy.
    In single action the pull is better,but rough.I've cleaned it up a
    little,will do more.Factory mags are 37.00 bucks ! Bend over
    please.I'm using USA 10 rnd mags,and they work fine,after I
    reworked the Mag catch slot,did some body work on the sides
    so they wouldn't hang up when released,some mag spring work
    so I could get all 10 rnds in em.So after around 8 hrs of "fitting" they work like the Factory mag.Whoopee-twang.
    I will say it shoots just about all the ammo I feed it.Cor-bon
    95grain+P HP's get hung up when I try to feed the first rnd,but
    after polishing the feed ramp it's loading em now.For 175.00 bucks its turned out to be a nice little backup.bg

whitebear74
    (4/13/02 1:06:48 pm)
    I picked up a slightly used stainless PPK .380 for less the $300 . It's a bit on the heavy side for a pocket piece. I haven't had any hollowpoint feeding problems with mine but I have heard that others have. If you plan on doing a lot of plinking with your pocket piece I wouldn't pick a .32 ,
    .380 & Makarov ammo is a lot cheaper. I read that the Romanian Carpati .380 is an all steel PPK clone and supposedly well made and a good deal for the money. Don't know anyone who has one so I don't know if that's true. Not a C&R either.

Edited by: whitebear74 at: 4/14/02 11:00:40 pm

jer2003
    (4/13/02 6:17:56 pm)
    The Makarov is the best pistol in that class of firearms. It is more rugged and reliable than the PPK. I understand that the East German Police, or one of the Communist Block nations, were experiencing so many malfunctions with the PPK that they switched to the Makarov.

I would highly recommend any Mak you can get at a price you would pay. The East Germans are the best finished, but I have an EG, a Russian commercial, and a Bulgarian. At the difference in price I would rather have the $99.00 Bulgie than the $159 EG. I think most will disagree with me as the EG is certainly the nicest. However, my Bulgie has just as good a trigger, is just as accurate, and it is the one I use most. The EG and the Bulgie required that the feed ramp be worked on to feed all HP. Once that was done they are 100& reliable with anything. My Russian did not require that, and is also 100% reliable with any ammunition I have tried, including the large cavity HP ammunition.

Unfortunately the Maks are getting hard kto get, but I understand that there are 10,000 in the pipeline somewhere. I don't have a clue as to the price.

Here is a discussion forum. www.gunboards.com/forums/...nes&BID=42

Jerry