PPK RZM Bad Purchase

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by sd8, Feb 7, 2010.

1. sd8

sd8 New Member

Good evening,

I recently purchased an RZM PPK without doing any research for $1500. It is SN 841002. Since my purchase I have done some research and found the last three digits should be scratched into the slide thru the ejection port. My eyes are not good even with glasses so I took a snap shot and blew it up. To me it looks like it ends with a "2" or "3" but it sure is not lead by to zeros. (photos attached). My question to the experts is:
    1. what digits are those in the slide?
    2. How much did I lose on my purchse?
    3. What should I pay for a real RZM PPK?

I thank you all in advance for your time and expertise.

SD8

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

IAW my reference, the entire block of serial numbers 820000 to 845000 was devoted to RZM. Now I'm the first to admit that I'm not a Walther expert, we do have a regular , Danny who is very well versed on these animals, however, the gun looks authentic. I find nothing ion my references that state the last three digits are supposed to be scratched on the inter part of the slide. The slide is right, serial number correct, grips look good and the magazine looks correct. I think you have a RZM PPK.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

IMHO, the price was high given the condition of the gun. But alternatively, RZM guns don't turn up on every street corner, so if you want one, you take it when you can.

The authority for the 820000-845000 numbers is Walther, so I have no reason to think it is not accurate and I agree with RJay that yours is genuine.

(I don't know if it would bother you or not, but that pitting looks like blood spatter. I have seen much the same thing on guns used in suicides.)

Jim
  4. sd8

sd8 New Member

First I would like to thank you for responding.

I was reading various sites information and came to the conclusion that the PPKs from that time period had the digits scratched inside the barrel. I do have a nice PPK from 1934 (not RZM) in the 809xxx range. It did have the last three digits scratched inside the slide and could be viewed thru the ejection port. I had to photograph it and blow it up and after that I could make out the chicken scratch. It was the last 3 digits of the PPK.

Your response makes me feel a little better. Regardless if it is real or not it does shoot well. Everything I collect I shoot. I try to only buy pistols that looked used. It makes my think the firearm has been somewhere. Pristine pistols are very nice and pricey but it seems like they have been no where but in a box or cabinet.

I also try to think what kind of person who own it was like. I have some WWI Colts and WWII Colts that looks very used. I wonder he owned them and where they been. This PPK is easy, I am sure he must have been a NAZI if its real RZM.

I am wondering if there would have been NAZI's if the Treaty of Versailles was written differently?

I would to say to all in the TFF, thank you for years of good reading. I learned a lot about firearms from your posts. I hope at some time I can contribute some useful info to someone.

Rjay,
    thanks again for responding and everyone have a great day,
    Stephen
  5. sd8

sd8 New Member

Blood splatter?

It does not bother me. It makes the pistol a little more interesting. To provide futher detail the spots are smooth, not pitted or rusted. They are visually seen only and have no depth into the metal. If you run your finder over them you would not be able to tell they were there.

I assumed the spots were from sitting in the holster. (see photos).

Do you or any other member know what type of holster this is? It is unmarked. It came with the pistol and two mags. I looked on all sites selling holsters and do not see one like it.

Thank you all for your responses.

Attached Files:

6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum sd8! When I read your last post I couldnt help but laugh when I saw "Finder". The last time I heard that was a story about me (3 years old) and my sister (age 4) Apparently said to my parents ... I hurt my Dinder after which my wiser and older sis said, Billy that isnt a dinder its a finder! By the way, it happened in Belmont NH.
  7. sd8

sd8 New Member

I am acually laughing right now. I never noticed that I spelled "finger" wrong. Thanks for the response and laugh.

Have a good day,
    SD8