PPK RZM Mark under Hammer

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by denny 714, Dec 31, 2010.

1. denny 714

denny 714 Member

After inspection of a Walther PPK RZM made in 1934, I noticed a stamp. It is not a acid etching. It looks like it was applied the same way the serial number was. This stamp is located under the hammer on the frame! Is this stamp on all PPK's? Does anyone know about it? [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. schooner.207

schooner.207 New Member

i have seen various proofs on the pp and ppk frames in the area behind the hammer . they may be an inspectors mark or an assemblers mark.they may also designate a group of guns. they are various in their designs and not found on all of the guns , pure conjecture on my part .
  3. denny 714

denny 714 Member

I just saw another post that said a war PPK had an "L" under the hammer and no one seems to know what that mark ment.......Do any of our Experts have an idea as to what these markings behind the hammer on pre-war and wartime PPK's mean??????

Denny G.
  4. leadpainter

leadpainter New Member

Denny - I have been researching this issue for the last few months. I have an early PP 1930 752,682 with a crown stamp on the floor of the well behind the hammer. I have just seen a second gun 200 SN's older with the same mark. Please see discussion at Walter Forum below. I have talked with many of the key Walther experts to no avail. Best idea seems to be these are inspector's marks. I do not believe these extend much beyond the late 1930's.

What is the serial number of your PP?

-Don
  5. leadpainter

leadpainter New Member

Denny, I am researching tang well markings in Walther PPK/RZM's, particularly in the 820,00-845,000 range. I'd appreciate knowing the serial number to add to the research. Thanks!