PPK W Variant

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rjguns1218, Sep 22, 2010.

1. rjguns1218

rjguns1218 New Member

So this is my husband's newly made account, that being said Ihave a question for you guys! He (ryan aka hubby) asked me to do some research on his newly acquired Walther PPK. He was "informed" by someone that the W at the end of the serial number makes it a known but "rare" variant. Every time I search it via Google or Yahoo search it brings me to you guys. :) SO I thought why not ask you myself. The PPK was brought back by a GI (bring back papers to prove it) the serial number is 188260 W. I will attempt to attach pictures but, being new to this forum, Im not sure if I will succeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun dates to 1940 and the finish and workmanship are consistent with that date. Unfortunately, I can't be of help with the "W" suffix; it normally would be a "K".

Jim
  3. rjguns1218

rjguns1218 New Member

Thank you Jim for your quick response. Ryan already knew it to be a prewar production model. He only sent me (me being Katrina aka the wife) on the quest for information on the serial number because of being told it was a known but rare variant. Thus far I have come across no information either proving or disproving that. I guess the main concern is that it may be worth more than he thought.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Need to know all the roll markings ( or echings ) from the left side and the proof markings. Eagle over an N or Crown over an N? The only use of a W was by Manurhin ( who contracted with Walther ), the capitol W was an inhouse Manurhin factory identification to denote a prototype or reproduction. In any case the cracked grips reduces the value a great deal.
  5. rjguns1218

rjguns1218 New Member

Unfortunately the pictures he took of the left side didnt not come out well. the slide etchings are: "Walther" (in the banner), "Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (thur)", "Walther Patent Cal 7.65 m/m" ,"mod PPK". Crown over N on the slide and barrel. No other markings.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, it is a pre 1941 PPK, so that rules out Manurhin bit, perhaps one of the Walther experts has a answer or explanation.
  7. rjguns1218

rjguns1218 New Member

Would it be more helpful if I tried to get some better pictures of the left side?
  8. SSMN

SSMN Member

Your Hubby's informant is correct. The W suffix is a rare variation seen occasionally and in collector grade (98% finish or better) they will go for upwards of $5,000.
    No one to the best of my knowledge has found a reason for the suffix change in a narrow serial number range from K to W.
    The subject gun is not in collector grade and probably worth less than half that. But still not too shabby. Treat it well.
    A half dozen from serial #187 737 W to 194 994 W are known to exist.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  9. rjguns1218

rjguns1218 New Member

Thank you very much for the information. I will pass it on to the hubby when he gets home and let him do with it what he will. He always treats his firearms well. :)
  10. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    After Walther reached 1010000, the company decided to go back & start the serial numbers back at 172000K. The W was in the sn# range of 185400 -195100.Guessing, but not sure, 8,700 units had the W suffix & then after the W stopped, K was used to wars end.,. Though sought after by collectors, the price mentioned is no way true. In the condition of your husband's firearm, 800 dollars would be a fair estimate. Of course in 95% the pistol would bring more. Hope this helps?
    Kind Regards
    Danny
    Note: The capture papers will add several hundred to the price.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010