Practical Pistol Competition

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by w1spurgeon, Jan 10, 2012.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

I'm thinking about joining the Practical Pistol competition at our local outdoor gun range. I plan to shoot revolvers. Could someone recommend a particular manufacturer/model to be competitive at this? How long a barrel should I be considering? What modifications should I plan to make to the gun? I assume that as a minimum lowering the double action trigger pull will be required.

I have my eye on several Colts, but I'm worried about buying such an expensive gun and then modifying it. Which one of the "snake" models is considered the best?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id say a python in .357 mag

But id consider a S&W before a colt. Either a used model 10 or a 586. 586 would be my choice. OR you could hunt down a custom shop 686 plus. They work well for Jerry Miculek. Hes made himself fairly rich competing with S&W firearms.

Dont overlook the Rugers either. A used security 6 or a GP 100 would serve you well with little tuning. And are actually easier to tune.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Are you limited to 6 rounds? Going to use Moon clips or speed loaders? Restrictions on barrel length or it being ported?

Any of the snake models would be good.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My only advice is go with 4" as long enough to get a good sight picture and short enough to make carrying and drawing easy. Drill drill drill slow and smooth with your speed loader, eventually speed will come. I watched a young officer on his hands and knees after going for speed and scattering his ammo in 6 directions. Us old guys would rather take the extra second and not have to get down on our hands and knees in the grass while everybody tries not to laugh. Glad I didn't laugh because shortly after that I tried to load a magazine in my 45 backwards. It doesn't work well.

Make sure you have enough ammo. One old fellow thought he was good to go and ended up the match one round short. Clock running and everybody digging through their boxes, bags, pickups and car trunks trying to find some 45 colts. One was found, black and grease encrusted but it worked, he hit the gong, stopped the clock and ended his match. I loved PPC.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

You need something like this S&W Mod 10.

Attached Files:

6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

got to go with moon clips to keep up. Most guys around here are shooting .45acp conversions using moon clips. 38 and 357 work too. Use moon clips too on them. Speed loaders just don't keep up. have the cylinders chamfered too to help with loading.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I watched one guy one time that was running with the big dogs with a Webley mk4 converted to .45ACP. The top break and full moon clips had him reloading faster than any other competitor.
  8. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

Thanks for all the advise. I ended up with a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel in .327 Federal magnum caliber. In it I shoot .32S&W shorts. I had my gunsmith modify the gun for a smoother and reduced trigger pull and had Bomar-type low profile white dot adjustable sights installed. There is so little recoil that porting is not needed. I'm still breaking in the gun but I am very pleased with the results so far. The fellows at Chattanooga Rifle Club have been most accomading in setting up a practice range and letting me and another couple of newbies go at it. Next match (my first competition) is Feb 22nd. I'll report back.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Time often changes the rules and I suppose PPC is no exception, especially today with most LEO carrying autos......We had to use 6 shot revolvers of .38/357...I had a Jim Clark SW M-15 slab side and a Ken Eversul SW M-15 heavy barrel...both custom...Used 148g WC with Bullseye powder...maybe 3.2g, but dont remember exactly....Nothing at all like I carried, but playing the competition game ya had to make allowances...;)

There wasnt a 'service revolver' catagory except at the Nationals...I know you will have a lot of fun...Glad to see they opened it up a little regarding what you can and cannot use...Unless you were supported by your agency, competition got to be expensive.
  10. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

Yeah, we shoot local rules at CRC. My wife intends to shoot my Glock 27.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It would be nice to have something like this to get involved in. The nearest match that I can find is over 100 miles away, nothing local.