The Firearms Forum banner

Practice at an INdoor range

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jim brady 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for tips on what to practice at the indoor range. I've pretty much got the center-chest and head-shots down using the sights, both hands but...
Lately I've been doing a lot of-
-turn sideways, shoot across the abdomen
- , shoot across my chest
-hold gun at the waist facing front, raise and shoot without aiming
-if no one else is in the next lane I even stand in that, lean across
the divider and shoot
_ shooting from the hip
- I'd like to practice from car-drivers seat but range director won't let me

So, anybody else have ways to practice indoors? Just seems more practical, for SHTF time, to practice one-handed, point-shooting etc. One thing I've noticed- when shooting across my abdomen- I tend to pull the trigger before I really intend to. I mean I have the gun pointed the right direction before I put my finger in to the trigger guard but,it's weird- I stop to think just for a split second and BAM. Gotta work on that. Doesn't happen when I hod it up at chest-height, or even when raising-firing fast as I can. Just- weird.

See less See more
#2 ·
My advice is to buy some snap caps; maintain a very strict practice routine and do much of your practice at home. Always keep any live ammo completely away from where you're practicing and the snap caps are well worth the money. You'll build muscle memory and practicing good habits will pay off in better results at the range when it's time for the live firing. You can practice all the sitting position that you'd like at home and nobody will tell ya no.

#3 ·
Looking for tips on what to practice at the indoor range. I've pretty much got the center-chest and head-shots down using the sights, both hands but...
the divider and shoot
_ shooting from the hip

So, anybody else have ways to practice indoors? Just seems more practical, for SHTF time, to practice one-handed, point-shooting etc. One thing I've noticed- when shooting across my abdomen- I tend to pull the trigger before I really intend to. I mean I have the gun pointed the right direction before I put my finger in to the trigger guard but,it's weird- I stop to think just for a split second and BAM. Gotta work on that. Doesn't happen when I hod it up at chest-height, or even when raising-firing fast as I can. Just- weird.
Indoor ranges are good for shooting bulls eyes, but that's about it. What you need to do is find a class that teaches several different courses in handgun tactics for SD. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly. You can't practice this in an indoor shooting range!

#4 ·
"that you'd like at home and nobody will tell ya no." Well, if the wife isn't home..I do dr-fire at home, but never thought of practicing like- in the car even. That's why I posted the question, thanx.
And carver, you're probably right- not sure anybody teaches those courses nearby though.

#5 ·
Practice malfunction drills. Loaded mag, empty chamber. Stove pipe. Failure to extract with fresh round trying to get in or as otherwise known, type I, II, III. Emergency reloads. Gun goes boom once and locks slide back, get it running for booms 2 & 3. Tactical reloads. Mix emergency reloads up boom twice then reload, two sets of three with a reload in the middle. You don't shoot a lot of ammo that way, but you get in a heck of a lot of practice. Snap caps at home are another way to do this.

#6 ·
Yeh, I keep meaning to do exactly that- hard to make myself do it- thanks Sarge. Guess I'll try harder.

#7 ·
"that you'd like at home and nobody will tell ya no." Well, if the wife isn't home..I do dr-fire at home, but never thought of practicing like- in the car even. That's why I posted the question, thanx.
And carver, you're probably right- not sure anybody teaches those courses nearby though.
If there is no one teaching classes near you, then get on line, and buy some DVD's. I caution you, and anyone else that wants to go this route, Safety is in your hands, and improper technique can get you hurt! I strongly urge you to find a class where you have an instructor that will guide you thru the basics, and then on thru the higher level classes.

#9 ·
Yeh, the things I practice (OP) I do one-handed all the time just about. Probably don't practice weak-hand enough.

#10 ·
#11 ·
There are free ones on the gun magazine websites, can be very informative. The gun shows on the Outdoor Channel are pretty good for tactics sometimes, too.

#12 ·
the divider and shoot
_ shooting from the hip

The indoor range that I shoot at is pretty strict about tactical practice when its busy but at slow times they let a guy try some different things. They also run a tactical league for pistols one night a week. shooting from behind baricades,off hand, starting position sometimes behind the wheel of a car. They mix up the layout each week.
Talk to the owners at your local range and see if they might start something like that.

#13 ·
Really does sound like you are a prime candidate for a defensive shooting class. "Train like you fight and fight like you train". For that you will need an instructor who knows what they are doing. Beware of the Instructor who shows up in a Ninja Suit. That's not completely my original - my old boss always said "Beware of the Supply Sergeant who wears an Army watch". I always liked that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.