Practice pays off

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Sandman, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Two weeks from my first elk hunt, went for my last practice round at the range yesterday. Never having shot anything larger than my .243 deer rifle, I was a little uncomfortable with the new Ruger .30-06 at first, and my groups were reflecting that. Now, three boxes of ammo and one Limb Saver recoil pad later, and I am finally developing some confidence in the new rig. First two groups yesterday were 1-1/2" and 1-1/4". I also got in some practice shooting from my shooting sticks and using a post for a rest. I think I am ready now, I just hope the elk cooperate.
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Glad to hear it, I've had the thought for a long time that good shooting is a matter of work and practice, while good hunting can involve luck.

Good job practicing, good luck hunting!
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

It's my view a good hunter does his homework gun wise. Maximilian is right about good hunting involving luck, though thats only part of it. Good marksmanship however requires practice and homework. Exactly where does your rifle print at a given distance, and can you hold it there? There are things I want to know before a hunt even begins.

OK I will admit I screwed up one time hunting, first and last. Only injured the animal, tried to put it down at short range and found the sights were off. I hadn't checked, and should have known better.
  4. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Just wanted to say Good Luck on your hunt. I am considering harvesting an Elk this year. Will have to see how things progress this year. Season starts shortly. catfish
  5. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Yeah, this was just sort of my testimonial to practice. I really thought I could just sight in the new rifle and immediately be able to shoot it as good as my old rifle. Took it to the 25yd range after mounting and boresighting the scope, so far so good. Got to the 100 yard range, and got a rude awakening. Luckily, I did all this far enough in advance of my hunt to have a fair amount of practice time. I would not want to make the trip not having developed confidence in the new rifle.
  6. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Didn't work out quite like we wanted to. It was HOT in British Columbia. I am talking high 80's to low 90's. As a result, the elk were not rutting and were not moving. None of the hunters got an elk. We had a chance on a 300+ 6x7 but were too slow and he got into the brush. Went back after him twice more, but he just bugled from the deep bush and wouldn't come out. He didn't get that big by being stupid, and he made his one mistake and wasn't going to make another. We also had a 5x5 that the guide called within 25 yards (23 to be exact). He was a very nice bull, but BC has a 6 pt rule. We only saw one other bull, and he was too far to get a sure count of points (so he was also further than I was comfortable shooting).

Even though we came back empty handed, it was a great experience. We were in a wilderness area where vehicles were not allowed. We spent the week hunting on horseback from a cabin with no power, water, etc. Drank from the creek and only saw one other hunter. Overall we had a great time.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm sorry you came back with no story to tell of the big Elk you shot. Man that just ****s. Still, glad you had a great time.
  8. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Glad you had a great experience. That's why it's called hunting, not killing! Just got my new 7mm.08 out to the range and boy, do I love it! Was thinking of hunting deer with the .243, but don't know now.... Tough call!