Practice Time Allocation?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by FranklyTodd, Nov 26, 2007.

1. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

I live in Ohio, which is a "shall-issue," but only a "sometimes-carry" state.

I've practiced self-defense (unarmed & non-gun armed) for over 20 years, but I'm older, fatter, and slower than I've ever been, and don't practice nearly as I should.

My recent focus has all been CCW related (licensed only about 4mo.), but now this re-focusing on self-defense in general is causing me feel almost entirely defenseless when I can't carry, which is a large percentage of the day.

How much time do you practice non-gun self defense? As I run through scenarios, it seems that if accosted there's a good chance I won't have a gun, and even if I do, if the BG got close enough, I'd likely have to employ some hand-to-hand to create space to even draw. Going straight for your gun and getting KO'd doesn't seem like a sound defensive tactic...

So I'm feeling that I really must go back and focus on the fundamentals of unarmed self-defense to supplement my defense with a firearm. Anyone else find that carrying part of the day makes them feel more paranoid when they can't carry? Funny, when I wasn't licensed at all, I felt fine! (he says, pulling his head out of.... the sand ;))

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Happy holidays, and safe shooting!
    FranklyTodd
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007