Pre 1840 Tryon Rifle. Curious about its age and worth

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Curious, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Curious

Curious New Member

I bought this old old rifle at an auction in the 70s and havent paid much attention to it until recently. It is very heavy and long and the wood, ramrod, and brass runs all the way to the end of the barrel. I found faded letters and numbers on the inside of the compartment door in the stock. I could clearly make out TRYO and I think 186. After googling for hours, I found out about the Tryon rifle company out of Philadelphia. That made it easier to identify the N at the end of the TRYO, but it appears there were a few more letters. The oldest Tryon I could find pictures of was an 1841 model. This rifle is much much older looking than that. I would appreciate if someone could help me figure out the age and worth of this beautiful rifle? Here is a link to my photobucket picture album of pics. Just copy and paste this into your web address bar.

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/tholmes222/

If anybody needs more information or pictures just let me know. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Curious

Curious New Member

Also, I found cross/star markings at the end of the barrel on every side of the octagon. Here is a pic of that. Sorry it is not near as clear as it is in person.

Attached Files:

3. Tanselman

Tanselman New Member

Your rifle appears to be from the midwest and near the Ohio river, perhaps in Kentucky, Ohio or Indiana. It has commercial Tryon parts that were wholesaled downriver, probably resold in a Louisville hardware store based on the "square shoulder" above the guard's rear spur. It appears the rear ramrod pipe also lacks a "tail" or rear flange, another detail from that general area and perhaps most common in KY. The barrel has been shortened at least 4 or 5 inches, perhaps more, based on the current location of the rear sight. The gun dates to about 1840 +/- a couple years, and the lock looks like it is probably hand-made by the gunsmith, which is uncommon on these later rifles. I think the most probable origin for this rifle would be northern Kentucky, somewhere reasonably close to the Ohio River and east (up river) of Louisville, perhaps in the KY counties across the river from Cincinnati. The slim lines through the wrist area, the small caliber, rear ramrod pipe without a flange, and simple cheekpiece that appears slightly scooped out, or concave, all are most commonly found in KY.. although the gun could have been made on the north side of the river as well.

Is there any trace of the maker's name or initials on the top barrel flat behind the rear sight, and probably closer to the breech than the rear sight? Any chance you can post a picture of the tang at the back of the barrel, a better picture of the rear ramrod pipe area, and also a close-up of the side plate on the opposite side from the lock plate? Those photos might help answer a few more questions about this rifle. Hope this helps you. Shelby Gallien
  4. Curious

Curious New Member

Thats the area I aquired the rifle. Charleston, WV. About 60 miles from Kentucky and Ohio. Also, it appears there was something engraved on the barrel in between the rear sight and the breach, but it is long gone. It is the only part of the barrel that is rough. It appears as if someone sanded out the name. Ill get those pictures hopefully later this evening