The Firearms Forum banner

Pre-64 Winchester 94 breakdown info

9K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr342 
#1 ·
My brother and I were recently given 2 Winchester 94 rifles, one made in '43, the other in '63. Looking for info on takedown and cleaning.

#2 ·
I bought a Win 94 in 82 and have never taken it apart.

To clean I just run a brass brush with oil down the barrel a few times then a dry patch. I repeat that until the patch is clean. After 50 or so firings I'll use copper solvent and a nylon brush to get the copper fouling out, but usually get next to nothing.

Since I insert my brush from the muzzle, make sure you are gentle with the crown.

Winchester Model 94 Disassembly

#4 ·
If you don't wish to tear it all apart, you can remove only th stock and forearm and us one of the commercial aerosol cleaners to flush out the gunk. (I use tetra gun action blaster.) Then use dust off to blow all the de-greaser out and relubricate using a light oil and small, soft brush.

Sam

#5 ·
The 94's are not really easily torn down. On the side of the receiver there is a plug screw. on the opposite side of the receiver is a hole. Pull the plug and pull the lever down until you see the pin that connects the lever to the bolt. with a small punch inserted in the small hole on the side of the receiver, push out that pin through the plug hole. Its easier said than done, make sure the hammer is cocked before you start, it just adds tension to the bolt making it hard to line up. Remove the lever screw and it will come out. slide the bolt out the back of the receiver. I would go not further than that without formal experience. Almost anything in that gun can be cleaned just by opening the bolt with exception to the bolt itself.

#6 ·
I bought a Win 94 in 82 and have never taken it apart.

To clean I just run a brass brush with oil down the barrel a few times then a dry patch. I repeat that until the patch is clean. After 50 or so firings I'll use copper solvent and a nylon brush to get the copper fouling out, but usually get next to nothing.

Since I insert my brush from the muzzle, make sure you are gentle with the crown.

Winchester Model 94 Disassembly
I have a Win 94AE from 1984 and its never been taken apart. I do the same as "The_Rifleman" for the barrel, but for the action, I use one of those reusable spray cans with Mineral Spirits. I first clean the Barrel with sweets and Hoppe's. Once that is clean I spray the action with spirits, then blast with compressed air. I then use Rem Gun oil for the action, and Pure Tung Oil for the wood. Excessive? Maybe, but its looks like it was made yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.