pre-64 winchester mod.70 220 swift

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fritz, Nov 27, 2010.

1. fritz

fritz New Member

i have a friend that is selling a winchester model 70 pre-64 in a 220 swift, i was wandering what would be a fair price to offer him? it is in very good shape and has a 10x unertil scope, not sure of the spelling on the scope.
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

From your post alone (no pics) I'm assuming it is the Model 70 Varmit rifle (1956-1963); 26" heavy barrel; varminter stock (for prone or rest shooting).
    Without any further info or pics; this rifle could go for as much as $1300 plus; depending on the buyer.

It definately has "collector value".
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

Without a full description - I would imagine that $1000.00 is not far off.

Maybe $1500 if the scope was also a collectors item.
    The scope might be worth as much as the rifle.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

Chances are if it has a Unertl target scope and it is not a heavy barreled varmint the barrel has been drilled killing the collector interest. If it is a varmint or better yet a target it is worth over $2,000.00 if it is nice and all original.

As always pictures are a must.

Ron
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Just a quick note...Not all Unertl scopes are barrel mounted. the company had a series of scopes that were discontinued that were reciever mounted. the 10X power of these is known by the name "Vulture". There was also a 4X and 6X scopes as well. It is possible this rifle may have one of these. But without pictures it is not possible to say much about value.

Regards, Kirk
  6. fritz

fritz New Member

its my bosses dads gun, i havnt seen it yet. he bought it new and used it to shoot prarie dogs so it might be a varmiter. i am going to try to get over there and see it today, and get some pictures. thanks for the responces
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Kirk: Something told me to call you before I ran off at the key board about Unertl scopes. Had I done that I would have learned that not all Unertl scopes were 4 foot long.

This sounds like a very interesting gun I look forward to fritz posting some pictures.

Hope you had a great thanksgiving.

Ron
  8. Smoke Rise'n

Smoke Rise'n New Member

The only negative I've seen with 220 Swift's is when they aren't cleaned enough. The barrel will suffer greatly if shot dirty due to the high velosity of most loads for this cal. If the rifle is less than clean I'd have the bore checked. Diplomaticly since it's your bosses father!
  9. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Definitely check the bore. Especially the throat. 220Swift is notorious for burning up throats. In fact, every 220Swift rifle I've inspected that was an "older" rifle had either completely shot the throat out or at the very least was showing signs of thinning rifling near the chamber. FWIW. Good luck with it! I hope it's a gem.
  10. fritz

fritz New Member

He sold it before i got a chance to check it out, guess i should have acted a little quicker on that one. :(
  11. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

I was told that the throat erosion is caused by the high pressures associated with the fast burning powder and the velocity of the round.
    Some .220 Swifts did not last 1000 rounds before the rifle needed work.
  12. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Don't know who told you that.....In days of old, I mean the pre WWII times, the Swift may have been a bad barrel burner. But steel in barrels became much better in the post war period. Remember the Swift was introduced in the 1920's! Nowdays the 22/250, 204 Ruger and others are not known as hard on barrels....nor is the Swift in modern barrels. Something to keep in mind.

Regards, Kirk