Pre 64 Winchester Mod. 70 300 H&H

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Merle, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Merle

Merle New Member

Hello all. I would like to find out what my rifle is worth. It is a 1950 Winchester Model 70 in 300 H&H caliber. The serial number is 1544XX. It is in almost perfect condition. It has a very few blemishes on it, a few scratches and a few very small rust spots. The blueing is worn in a few places just from being in a rifle cae for so many years. I acquired this rifle from my father who got it from his father in law who bought it new. It hasn't had too many rounds through it. I guess the old guy was into collecting model 70's and had bought every caliber possible in 1950. I have the instruction pamphlet and a little tag that was attached to the bolt with the serial number of the rifle on it. It is also sporting a original Weaver KV scope with a Redfield base. Did any of these rifles come equipped with this set up. The rear sight has been removed but I have it as well. I don't have the rear sight elevator though. So what could this thing be worth?
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  2. Merle

Merle New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few not so great pictures.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Merle......welcome to TFF. :)

You're a lucky guy. A pre-64 Model 70 in .300 H&H Magnum is a very desireable combination.....and yours appears to be in excellent shape.

Blue Book value:

98% - $1,600
    95% - $1,300
    90% - $925

The 'scope and the hang tag add to the value of this rifle, but I don't know how much.

Don't know if the Weaver scope & base were a factory option, but I doubt it. It was probably a gunshop or gunsmith addition at the time of purchase.
  4. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

i would add 10%-15% over the above estimate...

since the model 70 was discontinued pre-64 prices have gone up, and this is one of the most popular calibers...

best regards, mike.
  5. Merle

Merle New Member

Does anyone know if it's normal for the gun to just have "300 Magnum" on it? It is an H&H but it doesn't say it on the rifle anywhere. I know it can't be a 300 Winchester because that cartridge wasn't around in 1950. I also have about 5 or 6 boxes of old cartridges as well.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Manufacturers do not like to place the names of other manufacturers on their guns. H&H was another gun manufacturer, so Winchester conveniently excluded it from the caliber designation. Another exmple: Smith & Wesson invented the .38 Special cartridge and it is officially called ".38 S&W Special" and that is what S&W puts on their pistols. However, Colt only puts ".38 Special" on their pistols. Kind of childish, I think.
  7. Merle

Merle New Member

I was just wondering because I have seen other Model 70's and it actually has H&H Magnum on it. Maybe they did it later after the .300 Winchester Magnum came out to keep people from trying to fire the wrong cartridge.
  8. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Merel, The day was, when the old H&H was all there was and perhaps some though that there would not be another. Funny how in 07 we have soo many 300 "Mags" that it is hard to keep count, yet non improve very much if at all to a modern handloaded 300 H&H. I suspect recoil of much more than this will seperate the men from the boys!! Your markings are correct for your model 70. I have a twin to it, and it is my favorite medium rifle. Kirk
  9. Merle

Merle New Member

Wow, I didn't know it was worth so much. I wonder if I should sell it or hold onto it and let the value increase?
  10. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Merle
    I could sell mine too, and make some on the deal. I have a use for mine as I hunt with it. Did your father hunt? Reason being the sentimental value factor. Does it have that to you? The value will go up as there are no more being made. Unless the economy crashes and nothing is worth anything, I think it will be good property to own for the long haul. Just take very good care of it what ever you decide. Condition is everything and makes a very big difference to the value of your rifle. But shooting it a bit and cleaning the bore will not hurt it either. Best Reguards. Kirk
  11. Merle

Merle New Member

There really isn't any sentimental value attached to this rifle. My father got it from his father in law, my step moms father. I think my father only shot it once. I have shot it a few times, but it is expensive to shoot. I'm pretty much a once a year shooter and I just shoot at paper targets. I went through the rifle and totally detailed it a while back. The bore is shiny like new. I think this rifle would be a good collector piece for someone who collects such things. It sat in the old guys attic in the original baox for about 40 years before he gave it to my father. Even the sling on it is vintage 1950.
  12. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

Great lookin firearm. I would love to have something like that...
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  13. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If you have the original box, and the instruction manual, as well as the original hang tag, you can probably bump the price by 10-20%.

Your best bet for top dollar would be on one of the auction sites.

Good Luck.....XR
  14. Merle

Merle New Member

I don't have the box. My dad threw it out a few years ago because it was pretty tattered...doh! I only have the stuff in the picture.