Pre-64 Winchester Model 94 30-30

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Texican, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Texican

Texican New Member

I realize that the value of these ranges, just trying to get an approximate value.

This one has a serial number of 2387xxx. If I recall corectly, it is 1958 or 1959. It is in good overall condition. The wood is plain (no checkering) and is nice - no scratches, etc. The barrel looks to be right at 20". There is some light pin point pitting on one side of the receiver. The pitting is smooth and not rust colored, but it is there.

Any idea?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Texican......welcome to TFF. :)

Yup, you recall correctly.....it was made in 1958.

OK.....here's what the Blue Book says:

Model 1894 1940-1964 Production Carbine:

95% - $550
    90% - $450
    80% - $395
    70% - $350

Back when I was a kid in Maine, if you said "deer rifle"....you meant a Winchester Model 94 in "thutty-thutty"! :D
  3. Jim, just curious: Approximately how much would those values be reduced if the rifle has been reblued and refinished? I have a Mod 94, built in 1953, that belonged to my dad. It was unfortunately damaged (water damage only) in a fire. As a result, I had to have it refinished. I would never sell the rifle in any event, but I am curious how much it might be worth now. As it now stands, the rifle is virtually 100% in terms of bluing and wood. Mechanically, it is as tight and accurate as the day it came from the factory.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I'd guesstimate around $250, PS.

But.....there's really no "Blue Book value" on reblued firearms, so I guess the value is "whatever somebody will pay for it" (with the knowledge that it's a reblue, of course).

However.....whatever the monetary value, the sentimental value makes it priceless to you!!!!
  5. ironman9165

ironman9165 New Member

I have a M94 Winchester .30.30 serial 1819xxx and would like to know the year it was made. It has the original metal butt plate so I assume it is 1953 or earlier.
  6. 45nut

45nut New Member

7. bolter

bolter New Member

Hope someone still reads this. I've got a Winchester 1894 in pretty good condition although it's missing the saddle ring. Mfg in 1902 (ser#237325). It's got a few EXTEREMLY small pin sized spots of rust on the receiver. Should I get it blued? Also if anyone knows where I can get an original saddle ring I'd be much obliged. Not looking to sell it but would like to restore to keep in the family. Perhaps price it just for kicks.
    Thanks.
  8. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello bolter,

Your Model 1894 SRC was manufactured in September of 1904.

NO, you should not have it reblued. Instead, coat the rust spots with Kroil, let it sit overnight, then using some fine copper wool wetted with kroil, gently scrub the rust spots until the rust is gone. Lightly oil the areas just cleaned, and leave it alone.

Original rings are non-existant. Reproduction rings are available from several sources.

Bert H.
  9. Stormin Norman

Stormin Norman New Member

Hey yall iv'e got a mod 94 30-30 the serial number is 2182848 I got no clue what year it was made .. all i know is its pre 64. If any of yall out there could help me out it would be much obliged. i was told i could put a side mount scope on it, but would that effect how much its worth ? and by how much ?
  10. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

1956. Putting a scope on it will significantly reduce the value.

Bert H.
  11. Virtygo

Virtygo New Member

Hello all, I've heard from two people (one collector/seller, one seller) that certain lots of 1894's were prone to the bluing flaking off and does not detract too much from the value. In the two instances above, one was a 1941 and the other was a flat band. Any truth to this?
  12. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Two-part answer;

Yes, there was a problem with a group of Winchesters that the bluing flaked off of the receivers (1920 - 1933).

No, that problem did not effect a 1941 vintage Winchester, or the Flat-band Carbines (mfg. 1946 - 1948). Winchester changed their bluing formula in early 1939, and the flaking problem was eliminated.

Bert H.
  13. Virtygo

Virtygo New Member

Thank you Mr. H. I'm glad I have an actual date range. I got suspicious when they couldn't identify that range.

On a relate note, is it assumed all 1894's between 1920-1933 have no bluing left (meaning if it is blued it's been redone), or they just had an issue with some of the receivers?

If only an issue with some, would no blue left be more desirable or less?

Thank you sir(s)!!!
  14. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Most of the guns that were used and handled frequently have very little of the bluing left on them. There are some of the guns in that date range that did not see the light of day very often, and consequently they have most of their bluing still intact.

The complete loss of bluing is always less desirable than a gun that has some to all of its factory original bluing. A gun with all of the receiver bluing gone is better (more desirable) than a reblued gun.

Bert H.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  15. Virtygo

Virtygo New Member

Thank you!!!!!