pre 64 winchester model 94 serial no. locations

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by thunderace, Feb 22, 2011.

1. thunderace

thunderace New Member

Hi,I recently picked up a Winchester model 94, 30/30 cal that is a pre 1964 .For some reason the serial No. that is on the reciever behind the barrel was removed.Is their another location for the serial number on this rifle such as in the reciever ? Thanks, Rick
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Rick, having a gun with the serial number removed could become very problematic for you in that possesion of such a firearm is a crime. Think about it, why would anyone remove a serial if the gun were not stolen or used in a crime? Also I cannot recall any other place on a 94 that has the serial nimber.

Ron
  3. thunderace

thunderace New Member

RON. THE WINCHESTER 94 BELONGS TO A FRIEND WHO IS A COLLECTOR,IT LOOKS MORE LIKE A REPAIR WAS DONE IN THAT AREA AND IT WAS POLISHED BACK WELL BEYOND THE SERIAL NUMBER,COULD HAVE BEEN FROM PITTING AND THEY POLISHED IT OUT .I WAS HOPING THERE WAS ANOTHER LOCATION FOR THE NUMBER SO IT COULD CORRECTLY BE RE STAMPED IN THE REPAIRED AREA AND BLUED. THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE AND HE WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM.
  4. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello Rick,

Winchester stamped the serial number in just one location on the Model 1894(94)... on the bottom of the receiver frame.

Bert
  5. Road America

Road America Member

I don't know anything about the serial number problem, but those single shots are gorgeous! I must not be a real man cause I don't have one - but I sure like them!
  6. Mecanik

Mecanik New Member

Regardless of the reason for the serial number being removed you will have a tough time convincing the BATF that it's not stolen. I would give them a call and ask their advise on the subject. Better to ask now then to be caught later and have to explain it under different circumstances.
  7. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

If you have an FFL and are working on firearms, allowing a firearm in your shop that has had the number removed for ANY reason could result in your lic being taken. The BATFE has an extremely limited sense of humor about this in any form. But you prob know this.......
  8. pipefitter533

pipefitter533 New Member

hi my grandfather just gave me a winchester model 94. the serial number starts with 298 can anybody tell me what year it is. Also it has open sights i would like to keep but would also like to install a scope. What would be the best route on this rifle.

thanks,
    Dom
  9. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

No one can help you with just 3 numbers. The entire number has to be used.
  10. muddober

muddober Active Member

Dom, the difference in dates of manufacture between serial number 298xxx and 298xxxx is about 80 years. Just give us the last numbers in x and we can tell you. If it is serial number is 298xxx and you want to put a scope on it some here might suggest you be shot.:)

Ron
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011