pre '64?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Spec, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Spec

Spec New Member

Forgive me for the newb question, but then again...I'm a newb.

I've been looking at the winchester model 70. whats the diff between model 70 pre '64 and modern 70's? Other than the fact that they were made before 1964.
  2. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

I'll take a shot at this and I'm sure there will be others to chime in. Prior to 1964, the famous Winchester Model 70 had been pretty much a hand fitted rifle, finish as well. Winchester was losing money on them and without doing a good deal of research, changed the action from a Mauser(controlled feed) to a cheaper push-feed bolt. The stocks changed with pressed checkering and light colored wood. Overnight, sales went in the tank and 70's made prior to 1964 went thru the roof in value. A cult following you might say. Gradually the Model 70 has returned to it's rightful status with the new maching techniques and a combination of the best features of the two actions. I have a Model 70 Classic Featherweight in .270 Winchester that is an excellent rifle. The fit, finish and overall look of the rifle are outstanding. I'm sure there will be other comments, but that's it in a nutshell.