Pre-ban as an "investment"?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by skiingfool1974, May 28, 2003.

1. skiingfool1974

skiingfool1974 New Member

Any thoughts on if a pre-ban AR or AK would be a decent "investment"? Since there's only a limited supply left, it would make me believe that they shouldn't lose their value, and with time, it would only go up.... Any thought if this is a correct assumption?

TIA

Evan
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Remember that the entire 'pre-ban' concept was an artificially created market. Almost overnight, $700 rifles became $2500 rifles based solely on legislation. There is some controversy as to whether that legislation will go away or at least be heavily modified here in the near future, and what effect that will have on 'pre-ban' values.

One group believes that values will remain high, since any new production will be different from the old - in other words, they are thinking that Colt will not return to selling pre-ban configuration rifles to the general public. This group still advocates pre-ban firearms as a good investment.

The other side of the coin is the group that points out that the functionality of the firearm is really the same, and that if the legislation is removed then the market practically disappears, leaving people holding a very expensive bag.

I do not wholly subscribe to either group. Certain specific models of 'pre-ban' firearm WILL undoubtedly retain its value. Older Colt rifles such as the SP-1 and Gov't Carbine with AR15 markings will never be made again and high-condition pieces will always have a collector following. I believe the later pre-ban Colt rifles will be hard hit if the AWB goes away, because Colt still makes those configurations for law-enforcement sales and you'd better believe they would open that market to the general public if the legislation permits.

AK's will be hit even harder, depending on any modifications to the import ban.

Firearms as investments is a very tricky field. You have to be exceptionally careful as to which specific models will hold their value - not all do.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

The US is about to ban all Norinco products. Chinese small arms have been banned for about 10 years now, but they have been allowed to import other products. But with the new ban on "all things Norinco", this will mean the end of Norinco shotguns, among other things (which aren't considered small arms).

So I expect that the price of Norinco shotguns will go up in the coming years. They might be a good investment.
  4. skiingfool1974

skiingfool1974 New Member

Thanks for the advice Doc and Sniper. From what I've been reading, it seems as though GW is willing to continue the assault weapons ban, so, if that's the case, it would seem that the prices are bound to go up some more. Who knows, if I come accross a decently priced pre-ban, I'll probably pick it up.

Doc, why do you say that AK's will be hit harder w/any modification to the ban? Is that because there are so many of them out there?

Thanks again,

Evan
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

wo is me to disagree
    but aks will be hit the least

limited though my knowledge
    is

no matter what they do to
    these cheap knockoffs
    with us parts and
    shody workmanship
    `no more imports`

nothing will ever come close
    to the first imports quality
    late 70s and early 80s

agree with the colt statement though
    early colts in certain
    models are rare
    no matter what
  6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE New Member

Its gonna be a crapshoot I think. If the AW ban sunsets your $1,700 gun will be worth $900! If it gets renewed, it will be worth $2,700....hmmmmmm:eek:
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

wo is me, to once again disagree, although the ban may sunset-
    "importing"(this will never change-importing) is a totally different law, so anyone owning an original assault rifle (imported) will not be effected....if anything, it will go up in value......"Original Import"

B9
  8. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Colt Ar-15's Rule!...;)
  9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE New Member

But you can drop an AK in mud, blood, AND beer and it won't miss a beat! ;)
  10. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

NRAJOE. 'course that could be cuz them AR feller's is keepin' "High and Dry" chasin' their Lil' Pooper's down...;)
  11. Mausermania

Mausermania New Member

Buying firearms as an investrment is a little tougher to do now than even a couple years ago. Some of the prices that I have seen on auction sites along with some others really have me bewildered. One guy has a Sistema Colt listed for sale at 895.00!!! I looked at it just to make sure my eyes weren't playin' tricks on me!

I can buy one right now for 349.00 + shipping! There are quite a few other items besides whole guns (parts & accessories) that some want to charge more USED than NEW

Maybe some of these sellers have "bad" habits they gotta pay for. OR......they think there's a sucker born every minute!

BTW,WHY would ya drop any weapon in BEER,Huh? Thats fer drinkin' !
  12. NRAJOE

NRAJOE New Member

Ivestment time....I hope...

Forget the Bulgarian SA-M7....I went back to the gunshow this morning and found a PRE-BAN Chinese folding stock AK for $900 dollars! Beautiful deep blue finish....razor straight sites....fit and finish is awesome! Looks like oak upper and lower handgrips and pistol grip. The folding stock is parked tube steel with a very comfortable metal shoulder pad! It is marked:
    MODEL AKS-762
    CAL 7.62X39
    SEMI-AUTO
    POLY TECH
    BEJING,CHINA

It also came with a hardcase...3 30 round mags with chrome followers with POLY CHINA stamped on the mag floorplates!
    The barrel is threaded with a barrel nut at the end to protect the threads. Also has a green canvas Chinese sling attached. The original manual is included, the original box was destroyed but he managed to salvage the box end with the serial number and information!
    I sold my V-12 .45 yesterday,and my Taurus Tracker .22lr pistol today...broke even money wise and got an AWESOME AK!
    I have to go clean out my shorts now......

Attached Files: